Nepal - Nov-2023 - 3- Chitwan


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
December 12th 2023
Published: December 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Nepal Tour - Nov-2023


Day-2: Chitwan




Janakpur to Chitwan:



It is 210 Km and 6 hrs.



Chitwan has a wildlife sanctuary - Chitwan National Park. It is on the UNESCO world heritage list. It is best known for Indian one-horned Rhinos (~700), Bengal tigers (~130) also wild elephants, crocodiles (mainly Gharial) apart from many varieties of birds and other animals. In vegetation, we had heard of ‘elephant grass’, but got to see it for the first time.



Chitwan was a transit halt from Kesari’s point of view as distance from Janakpur to Lumbini cannot be covered in a day. A wild-life sanctuary is not a ‘divine’ place and Rhino is not the vehicle of any deity - God or Goddess, so the jungle safari was not a part of the official itinerary (in simple words, safari cost was to be paid extra!).



We had the whole afternoon for this purpose. Elephant-ride and elephant-bath shows were stopped by the Govt. We joined a two-hour jeep safari for Rs. 2200 (INR) per person (10-12 per jeep). Rhino visibility probability was put at 80-90%!b(MISSING)y the local guides.



Rhinos were not so lucky as to have a glimpse of our group! And tigers are known to be shy!!



There is Valmiki ashram somewhere inside the National Park.



In the evening visit to a one-hour cultural program by the local Tharu community was arranged. (Tharu Cultural House, Sauraha, Chitwan, INR 200 pp c/o Kesari). The best part was the peacock dance (
). At the end, spectators were allowed (
) to dance with Tharu artists (
). Good show.



Resort accommodation at Hotel Earth Light was very good.



Next: To Lumbini


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb