Annapurna Circuit


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Namaste.
I am having to pedal to keep this computer working so please bear with me.
I got back from trekking last saturday and had an absolutely amazing time. It is such a great way to experience the scenery and culture of this country and a proper little adventure. The trail is old mountain trade routes only accessible by two or four legs and it takes you from sub tropical all the way through to alpine climates. I went independantly, carrying my equipment and took a total of 17 days to complete the annapurna circuit and the annapurna sanctuary treks. Along the way i met some interesting characters including an everest summiter, some maoists, a 90 year old buddhist hermit/lama who had lived in a cave for 35 years with his wife and a rather interesting chap who was head of a regional horticulture department and had introduced the raddish to the region and attended the 1985 international potato conference in the netherlands.
The first half of the trek was my favourite, it was very remote and there seemed to be a lot less trekkers. There are some great little villages along the way and apart from a few subtle differences it feels as if you have taken a step back in time.
On day 9 of the trek I ended up getting really high! .... 5416metres to be exact, this is the thorung la pass where the trail crosses the himalaya range. You have to take it easy from about 3000m and at 4000m there is only half the oxygen, i acclimatised well tho and didnt suffer too many problems although i did have terrible wind this proved an advantage in the long cold nights.
Once pass the thorung la the landscape changes as you hit the tibetan plateau and you descend along the kali gandaki river bed, from here i extened my original trek and went via the sanctuary upto the annapurna base camp for some more stunning views of the mountains.
Seventeen days after leaving i limped back into pokhara early evening and thought i would call into a kayak shop from which i had intened to take a river trip. "sacreua bleu! you are lucky!" said the frenchman, "I have a trip leaving tomorrow." i dont know if lucky was the right word but without delay i was in a kayak negotiating class 3 whitewater down the seti river. Another absolutely wild experience, it was a little self contained expedition with all our gear on a raft, we spent four days learning how to run rapids and i left wanting more.
i am now back in pokhara abusing the great food and relaxed atmosphere. Please enjoy the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



4th November 2006

wow jealous!
Wow, wow, wow. What an amazing time you are having. You are doing all the hard work and we are enjoying the experience of places we will never go as we are too unfit and old to do that hiking!!!
5th November 2006

Good one!
Wow Tom you've only been gone a little while and you’re livin the life already like a seasoned traveller! Well impressed! Your blogs are brill and keep me going on the long nights here on the rig. Keep em comin!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb