The Himalayas - Poon Hill to Annapurna Base Camp


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Base Camp
April 23rd 2013
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Continued hiking along the valley from Ghorepani on undulating scenic paths through colourful pink and red rhododendron forests. Passed green hillside terraces filled with spinach and potato crops greeting friendly locals along the path with calls of "Namaste", and playing competitive "Uno" card games into the evening with an international mix of fellow hikers.

Gradually started climbing again, spotting buzzards circling overhead as the weather closed-in. Hiking through chilly rain and crossing the snowline at around 3400m, we slipped and slid our way in the snow towards Machhapuchhure (Fishtail) base camp, watching avalanches thunder down cliffs on both sides of the steep valley. Quickly warmed up in our first heated dining room over a hot chocolate, as we watched the snow gradually piling up all around.

Waiting for the snow to ease the next day eventually made a quick dash after lunch to Annapurna Base Camp with our assistant guide, climbing a steep ridge and trudging through deep snow but enjoying stunning views of the snow clad mountain amphitheatre and impressive glacier. Celebrated reaching basecamp with pringles and coca-cola, before rushing back down as the snow returned and light started to fade...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Red rhododendronRed rhododendron
Red rhododendron

Nepal national flower
Nepalese flat...Nepalese flat...
Nepalese flat...

Jodie and Ally
View up valleyView up valley
View up valley

Me, Jodie and Emily
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

Annapurna base camp


13th May 2013
En route to Annapurna base camp

and WOW again!
Mr Stephen, I might commission some prints from you - these pictures are great!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb