Perhentian Islands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
February 14th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I should really get on top of these entries and not leave them for a few months later to do, oh well.
Best time of the year to go to the island, Kecil. The storms had just finished in late Jan and although the locals weren't sure as to whether or not the islands would be open and they recommended we just go to Langkawi, we took the chance to go to the Islands up north and it proved be a great idea. Not only did we get awesome accomadation at a cheaper price, we had much of the island to ourselves. Yes there were still tourists and backpackers but compared to the islands in Thailand these were so much better.

The best thing about the island is that everyone was low key and relaxed and there was no rush and no cars anywhere or annoying scooters. The sad thing is that in a few years time I am sure the island is going to get ruined by mass development. It is clear that in the heart of the island and on the surf beach area there is massive development occuring. But at the time we went it was perfect.

One of the 5 days on the island we went on a typical boat tour and snorkelling tour. Was really good water and we got to see a shark (I swam away straight away), lots of fish and a giant sea turtle. Got really close to it as well and it was awesome giant creature. Wish my camera could have taken a better picure under the water but got the shadow of it at least. After may coral reef stops and jumping off the light house in the water we headed back. Could have stayed out there for longer, but i think 6 hours was enough.

Another great thing we did was getting surf lessons with one of the locals. Really good lessons and really fun to try something out. I still need to learn to bend my knees, I will one day. Would have wanted more lessons but with time and money against us didn't really get to. One of the things which is hard on the island is that there are no ATMs or ways to get money out, so we have to go back on the boat to Malaysia, so we stocked up on money, which isn't the safest thing. But nothing happened.

Basically the islands were great. Cheap vodka, not cheap beer! So there were alot of vodka nights. And the cool thing was you could buy the vodka by the bottle and sit in the resturant/bar and mix it with a shake. OH one important thing to remember the fish is amazing, the BBQ shark was awesome. I also got the chance in my less then sober state to do some fire twirling. Yes looked like an idiot, but I guess or white people do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb