McMalaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
September 15th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Sat 15th - Took the jungle railway to, predictably, the jungle. This was supposed to be part of the jungle experience and a great way of seeing most of the jungle whilst on your way. Unfortunately, due to the 6am start time and the fact that for most of the journey we literally couldn't see the wood for the trees, the journey was a bit of a non event. After the train, we switched to a boat for the final bit of the journey to the jungle. Once in the jungle we went for an easy afternoon stroll, which turned out to be a mountain trek all afternoon during which Neil was attacked by leeches which were more annoying when they came off than when they were attached.
On the next day we went up and onto the suspended walkway which gave good views around the jungle. After this we went on another supposedly short walk to a nearby hill. After 30 minutes walking the signposts told us we had covered 500m. At this point we gave up realising that there version of distances is not the same as ours. That evening we went for a night jungle safari, not really in the jungle but still not too bad. Saw lots of animals, mostly snakes, a wild cat, and a few sparrows.



Tues 18th - Got up early heading to KL, stopped to change buses on the way and got breakfast whilst waiting. We went to the only place in the whole town that was open (because of Ramadam), but turned out to be the best breakfast we'd had. A whole load of chinese food shown to us by the chef with reccomendations on what he thought we'd like. Once we arrived in KL we found our accomodation in Chinatown and wandered around the street market nearby. Everywhere in KL we noticed there was a McDonalds on the street corner, and on most of the straight bits of road too, and they did McDelivery (although why you'd need it with that many McDonalds around anyway we don't know).
On the next morning we got up early again, this time to get tickets to go up the Petronas towers, and go to the Vietnam embassy to sort out our Visas. Spent the rest of the morning in the shopping centre under the towers before going up to the viewing platform on the skybridge in the afternoon. The skybridge is only at 170m and the main thing you want to see from there is the building we were stood in.
The next day we went up another building nearby whose viewing platform was higher than that of the Petronas towers. This time we could see the view we wanted and saw the rest of the city too. In the afternoon returned to the Vietnam embassy hoping that our visa had been processed as we were leaving at 10:30 the next morning. It hadn't.



Fri 21st - Got up early again and returned to the Vietnam embassy for a third time, with our fingers crossed that our visa would be ready and we could make the bus in time. This time our luck was in and we got back to the bus station with plenty of time to spare. Five hours later and we were in Penang at a 125 year old chinese house which was our accomodation.
Saturday morning we went to a shopping centre to get breakfast but nowhere was open even the bread shop was still setting up (this was 11:00am), so we were forced to go to McDonalds as it was the only place open. After this we went to Kek Lok Si Temple nearby where we got to feed the turtles (probably the highlight of the day) and planned to go up Penang hill. This turned out to be very difficult due to lack of signposts, so we gave up and headed back into town. In the evening we went out to celebrate Neil's birthday in the bars and clubs around where we were staying.
On sunday (Neil's birthday) we spent the day recovering and doing traditional sunday type things (mainly watching sport in the pub). On Monday we left for Bangkok on an overnight train.



Next Stop Thailand

More Soon

Neil and Rosie
xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

SnakeSnake
Snake

On the night safari
Another SnakeAnother Snake
Another Snake

This one was poisonous
Wild CatWild Cat
Wild Cat

Possibly a Leopard Cat
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

View from the Petronas Towers skybridge
Turtles trying to escapeTurtles trying to escape
Turtles trying to escape

In the middle of the picture, the corner of the pool.
Check out ma BuddasCheck out ma Buddas
Check out ma Buddas

To be said using the voice of Craig David
Kek Lok Si TempleKek Lok Si Temple
Kek Lok Si Temple

View down from the top of the Pagoda
Kek Lok Si TempleKek Lok Si Temple
Kek Lok Si Temple

View up at the Pagoda
Neil's BirthdayNeil's Birthday
Neil's Birthday

Birthday cocktail in the Eastern and Oriental Hotel (its very posh)


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb