Brinchang, Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
January 23rd 2016
Published: January 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Friday 22 January
Our journey from KL to the Cameron Highlands, started out without a hitch, travelled by Taxi against the manic flow of traffic and reached the Bus Station early, to find that our Coach was a grand Old Lady, with rusched, scooped satin curtains, heavy carpeting and seats to put Business Class Aeroplanes to shame. We had seats 1 & 2 behind the driver, which had footrests and reclined, if one wished. The Motorway Journey was slow at first, circumnavigating Kl with the famous towers always in view, but after that plain sailing, we did think the front suspension was a bit creaky but basically fine. However, that was until we left the Motorway and started to ascend into the Highlands. Our Driver Malay; started Giggling, talking in Tongues and generally acting as if on something very potent! We prayed he wasn't a Buddhist intent on quick re incarnation as he careered around 180 to 360 degree blind bends with total abandon and can only thank the Lord we avoided all the near misses. Poor Paula was so distraught she started Beeping every time we approached a bend. We certainly found out why the suspension creaked. Although for us, travel sickness pulls were not necessary, maybe some of our travelling companions should have taken these precautions........ The journey took almost 4 interesting hours, and when we alighted, almost kissed the ground to celebrate being alive. A further ten minute taxi ride took us to the door of our humble hotel, the Parkland Express. Accommodation in the Cameron Highlands varies hugely, in location and budget. We chose location over over luxury. Unfortunately on arrival the weather was getting very stormy and Leo's Man Flue was at it's height and we found Brinchang a bit boring, It does have a KFC, where we had coffee, but apart from that very quiet. After checking in, Leo took to his bed leaving Paula to try to research the Walking trails, the information on these is very sparse and there being no Tourist Office, a bit frustrating. The Hotels seem obligated to direct you to their Cousins Travel office for guided bus tours, which we didn't want. Paula woke Leo from his germ-ridden slumber at 7pm as: A. She thought he'd had enough sleep by now and she was bored. B. There was Chinese singing and music wafting from across the road which she thought we could investigate, and maybe join in with ? So she woke the boy, encouraged him to dress and shower, in the right order, of course, and eagerly went out into the heart of Brinchang. it took us some time to trace the source of the Festivities but when we did we found ourselves viewing the Funeral Service for Some Grand Old Chinese Matriarch, including paper replicas , half-life size plastic Mercedes car! thought it inappropriate to join in singing or dancing and discreetly left. Brinchanchang is famous for the weekend night markets, so we followed the lights to the bustling white-lit tents. Paula had read it was so popular that parking was a major problem and indeed we concur, there was a steady stream both ways of both local traffic and buses coming in from the lowlands, double and treble parking, complete chaos. In addition, the ground surface was dry dirt and stony. Paula made a note to remind Leo to take care where he trod. Eventually, we left the market, with a small package of famed Cameron Highland Strawberries, the smell the of which we could not ignore. Deciding that we could resist the lure of cuddly toys and plentiful street food, we made our way back to our room. Within that short distance, We both managed to turn our ankles on stones/rough pavements. Limped home to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.429s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb