Good Morning Kuala Lumpur!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
March 23rd 2006
Published: March 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Good Morning Kuala LumpurGood Morning Kuala LumpurGood Morning Kuala Lumpur

Malaysia's equivalent to Katie Couric and Matt Lauer, I guess.
The National Mosque (Masjid Negara) is the equivalent of the National Cathedral in Washington DC. A few obvious differences, starting with the lack of pews, shoes, and Christians. It is a glorious building, but not the kind of soaring one I expected, as in a cathedral. It is open to the public and they welcome guests. So I wore the cap, removed my sandals, and entered. My experience was one of tranquility. It was not prayer time so just a few men were praying privately and quietly.

Unlike a cathedral, the emphasis was on the horizontal plane. I felt compelled to face forward not up. Inside the mosque, stained glass provided a warm glow of colored light. Outside of the main hall was a massive overflow area. In contrast, it felt very cool. Very relaxing. Long strips of blue stained glass fell on the cool marble below making simple but wonderful designs-- and the overall experience was one of cool. It felt and looked cool and calm and reflective.

It is sitting on about five acres of beautiful gardens with clean, cool marble underfoot (remember--no shoes), reflecting pools, fountains and a tall modern minaret. It has a bright blue
National MosqueNational MosqueNational Mosque

Front and Center of the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur.
jagged rooftop, designed in the shape of an eighteen-pointed star, symbolizing the 14 states of Malaysia and the Five Pillars of Islam. The roof looks a bit like an umbrella which symbolizes the aspirations of an independent nation. Near the mosque is the Makam Pahlawan (Heroes' Mausoleum), which houses late Malaysian leaders.

Petaling Street is the main drag of Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown district, which is not far from the hotel). It starts off slow, and when I walk through Chinatown in the morning it is sparce and quiet. By mid-afternoon it is jumping and by night it is a mob scene. In the evenings, it is a crazy bazaar with a lot of local products, such as batik but it also has a lot of imported Chinese items, from knock-off watches, designer knock-off clothes and purses, and Addidas to a man making coffee and another making coffins. And of course lots of pirated Video CDs of the movies being shown in the US, Hong Kong, and China. There is no shortage of things to eat, since there are lots of dim sum shops and wet markets.

Tucked away off of one of Chinatown's narrow side streets is Sri
Detail of Stained GlassDetail of Stained GlassDetail of Stained Glass

Inside the National Mosque of Malaysia.
Mahamariaman Temple. In some ways it reminded me of the National Mosque in that it was a place of cool tranquility despite the harsh heat. The temple itself is something of an arresting sight, because inside it is this ornate and beautiful place of serenity in the middle of a crowded bustling and frankly a little dirty street.

Built in 1873, it is the most elaborate Hindu temple in the country. Its gate tower is embellished with ornate sculptures of Hindu deities and its floors and walls marbled with Italian and Spanish tiles. This is the country's oldest temple and it occupies an important place in Hindu religious life. Inside, many Hindu worshipers offers prayers to the four-armed goddess. Of course you have to remove your shoes before entering the temple. About halfway inside, I ran outside remembering how many poor people were right outside and I went back to grab my sandals and carried them with me. Although I felt guilty, the thought of being in the middle of Luala Lumpur without shoes kind of freaked me out.

It is considered the most elaborates Hindu temple in Malaysia. The smape of the temple resembles a human body
Overflow AreaOverflow AreaOverflow Area

This is part of the overflow area at the National Mosque. The sunlight was channeled through blue glass which then created patterns on both the ceiling and marble floors
lying on its back with the head facing west and the feet pointing east. The tallest structure in the temple is the "gopuram" (tower) that is corresponding to the feet of the human body, and is the threshold between the material and spiritual world. The dramatic pyramid-shaped gate tower is decorated with depictions of Hindu gods sculptured by artisans from southern India.

It is nicely decorated with features such as intricate carvings of Hindu deities, gold embellishments, precious stones and hand-painted motifs depicting stories from early Hinduism. Italian and Spanish tiles cover the walls of its interior. The temple also houses the tallest Hindu silver chariot in Malaysia that is kept in a vault. It is brought out once a year during the Thaipusam celebration for the procession from the temple to Batu Caves.

And again, it remains hot -- about 90 degrees in the middle of the day. I finally started apreciating the difference between 80 and 90 degrees. And every other day, at late afternoon or early evening it just pours. Mental note: look up "Monsoon Season." Cause this is it!

I'm having fun and meeeting very interesting people who are eager to show me
Roof of the MosqueRoof of the MosqueRoof of the Mosque

Roof and minarete of the Masjid Negara
around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Hero's MausoleumHero's Mausoleum
Hero's Mausoleum

The Hero's Mausoleum on the grounds of the National Mosque
Petaling Street Petaling Street
Petaling Street

Petaling Street in Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur. It's under a nice blue roof to keep it a bit cooler and drier.
Front of Sri Mahamariaman TempleFront of Sri Mahamariaman Temple
Front of Sri Mahamariaman Temple

The Sri Mahamariaman Temple sits immediately on a side street of Chinatown
Details of the Front of the TempleDetails of the Front of the Temple
Details of the Front of the Temple

Details of the street side of the temple, which clashes with the rest of the street and the inside of the temple.
People Praying in the TemplePeople Praying in the Temple
People Praying in the Temple

A few people praying in the main part of the temple. It was very cool and serene inside
A close up of the main altarA close up of the main altar
A close up of the main altar

Inside the temple is a main altar and several side altars. This is the main altar with animage of Sri Mahamariamman (Uma Devi), surrounded by,Ganesha, Khandakumara, Krisna, Vishnu, Rasmi and Kali.
Side AltarsSide Altars
Side Altars

As true of most Hindu temples, there are several side altars, each with one or a few gods, often rather small and sometimes clothed.
Altar to DurgaAltar to Durga
Altar to Durga

Durga is the incarnation of Devi or the Mother Goddess, a unified symbol of all devine forces. This is a little side altar in the back of the temple.
Details of WallDetails of Wall
Details of Wall

This is on the outside wall of the temple depicting a Hindu scene
Details Details
Details

Details of the roof and the back of the front entrance
Absolutely No IdeaAbsolutely No Idea
Absolutely No Idea

But It was cool.
Me at PetronasMe at Petronas
Me at Petronas

I am standing on a small bridge in a park that sits in the back of the Petronas Twin Towers.


23rd March 2006

Wow
Mim... this is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your adventures!
23rd March 2006

I feel like I'm on the trip with you!
10th April 2006

Masjid Jamek
The picture of the mosque situated where 2 rivers meet is named Jamek Mosque or Masjid Jamek in Malay language. One of the older mosques in Kuala Lumpur.

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 61; dbt: 0.118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb