Kuala Lumpur Clouds


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
December 17th 2009
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was another early start to the day as we had to catch a bus from KL Sentral to the cooler mountainous region of Genting. We arrived at Sentral and found our bus to take us to our destination. We didn’t really know what to expect from this short day trip but I did assume that we would be able to experience some of Malaysia’s natural wonders. I was sadly mistaken.

We made it to Genting in about an hour with ears popping due to a nasty head cold. We pulled up to the terminal with no instruction of where we needed to go or what to do. That seemed to be the usual thing for Malaysia - nobody fills in the gaps. We finally worked out where we needed to go to get on the cable car and we joined yet another queue for the privilege of soaring above the lush jungle of Malaysia’s mountains. We clambered into our car, with a view that was interrupted by dirty and scratched Perspex and cloud that hung low. It was certainly much cooler here than in the city. We begin to ascend into the clouds over the jungle towards Genting. It was certainly beautiful peering out of the small window and every now and then we heard birds singing in the distance. We kept our eyes out for monkeys as we saw some by the side of the road on the way up the mountain, we didn’t see any in their natural environment. Two kilometres later we made it to Genting.

Genting is a massive complex that consisted of about four hotels, an indoor theme park, a casino, a water theme park, many restaurants and fast food outlets and absolutely no facilities to enjoy the great outdoors. Once again I have learnt a valuable lesson - never assume. Dan and I were bitterly disappointed. With hope still driving us we set out to find some information about the place. We were directed to information about the history of how Genting was a vision of one man and it became a realisation in the 1960’s. Not quite what we wanted, however, inside we found a model of the entire complex which gave us a better idea of the huge scale of this place. You must realise at this point we were literally in the clouds and couldn’t see any more than two hundred metres in front of us. Dan was determined to find a way outside to enjoy the mountain fresh air - no luck. This place just wasn’t built for that. Instead it was built for inside entertainment for families. We found it kind of strange... Each to their own.

With only a buffet lunch to look forward to we found a spot to sit until the time arrived to eat. I think we were the first ones inside the restaurant to eat. Once inside we were greeted with a vast array of international cuisines. Dan was in his element. After filling up we found our back to the cable car for our ride back down to the bus terminal. With a bus ticket saying that we were booked in for 4:30 we crossed everything that we could get on an earlier bus to make our way back to the hot and busy city of KL. Luck would have it; the next bus had spare seats with our names on it. Once back in the city and disappointed with the day, we headed back to the unit to log on to stolen WIFI to tell the tale.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



20th December 2009

Genting
I can relate to your disappointment, Malaysia seems to be really into theme parks, nearly every major area has one. We really loved Sabah and was lucky enough to venture up into the jungle areas to see how the hill tribes lived many years ago, some still do and seem unpertured of the fast development of the area. I agree with your comment that the Malaysians give out very little information. If you are planning on travelling from KL up through Butterworth and into Thailand make sure you get all the relavent paperwork/visas otherwise you'll get stuck at the border. Well I'm spending the day doing last minute Christmas cards, shopping and cooking, I know where I'd rather be. Take care and enjoy those roti's Dan...wait till you get to Thailand they even get better!!!.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb