We saw a MONKEY!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
October 21st 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey you guys!

It's raining at the moment so we are in the hostel and thought we'd write our next installment!

We're in Borneo now, we arrived on Monday.

KL was fab but hard work! The heat makes you knackered so quickly, and coz you're in the city it feels even hotter! Oh and it didn't help that we tried to walk to places that were impossible to get to! Walking's all good when you know where you're going, but not so great when you don't end up where you want to be!! (Matt's in-built compass seems to be a little off course at the mo - ha ha!). Anyway, enough wingeing about that from me!

Saturday was a bit of an annoying day. We woke up early to go and queue for free tickets up the Petronus Towers (there's a viewing station on the 41st floor) and then went to Merdeka Square for a look round (this is where they declared independance from us Brits 50 years ago) and there is one of the tallest flag poles in the world - exciting stuff! But somewhere along the way we managed to lose the tickets to the Towers - oh no! So we had to rethink our plans for Saturday and decided to go to a park in KL called Lake Gardens which I thought would be a few trees and a lake (obviously) and some nice grass. But no, it was like a jungle in the city! And that's where we saw the monkey - hee! It was nice to chill out away from the city for a while. There was an orchid garden - pretty flowers! And lots of little bridges over the water (oriental stylee), which we tried to cross but got chased off by these huge geese - our lives flashed before our eyes!! Oh and there were lots of just married couples everywhere getting their photos taken! I felt sorry for the brides having to walk across the grass in their white high heels and dresses - I would have made the groom carry me - ha ha! There was also the world's largest covered bird park which we decided to save for another time (we were tired after walking for ages trying to find the park in the first place!).

Saturday night we went to eat at Old China Cafe which was fabulous! It's in a really old building and the decor doesn't look like it's changed since it was opened - so I loved it! There were lots of black and white photos on the walls of interesting Chinese people and two massive mirrors which faced each other which is good feng shui (something about the light reflecting off them in the morning!). Anyway, the food was good, really good - we had top hats to start which were like Chinese tacos and you filled them with minced chicken and stuff and I had laksa (with prawns and fish balls - yum!) and Matthew had sizzling beef (also yum - it was in like a gravy that would work well on your Sunday dinner!).

Sunday we woke up early again to queue for tickets up the tower (and try not to lose them this time!). We just decided to chill round near the Towers for the day, as there is another park and lake (it's a bit like Salford Quays!!). I (Marissa) had Nasi Lemak for breakfast which is rice, a really tasty spicy curry sauce, hard boiled egg and dried anchovies and ground nuts (I left these as it seemed a bit wrong to be eating dried fish so early!). But curry for brekky actually wins! We did some shopping in the huge mall (more to keep out of the mad hot sun), sat in the park (in the shade!) then went up the towers in the stupidly fast lift for a view of KL and beyond!

After another tough day in the sun we decided to get drunk and got the monorail to a bar and ordered a tower of Carlsberg! We were big sweaty messes and wet from the rain (we'd just bought umbrellas but they had holes in - saw us comin!) so I'm surprised they served us - ha ha!

Then it was to a hawker stall to grab a scran then home to bed so we could be up to catch the plane to Borneo in the morning.

Anyway, we'll be off now. Sorry for the essay - I'll get Matt to write the next one (then it'll be much more concise I'm sure!).

Love to you all xx

PS: We've managed to lose all the photos from KL as our memory card malfunctioned! So sorry, no pics of our gorgeous faces (for now....).







Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb