Stop # 2: Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
June 11th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we made it to Kuala Lumpur.. our timing in boarding the plane before it took off was a bit too close for comfort. We must have thought we were going to O'hare for a flight to Milwaukee... rather than an international flight at the foreign HK Airport. Air Asia was surprisingly nice- no wonder it is one of Asia's fastest growing companies! The carrier reminds me a bit of Southwest with no assigned seating. Our flight was under four hours long- and we eventually made it to KL, Malaysia.

It was already apparent that this city was going to be a bit different than Hong Kong. The people who were traveling were no longer tourist families or businessmen- it was locals coming back to their home country and the a backpackers who took advantage of the cheap flight to bring them into SE Asia. We caught a bus to our hostel- The Red Palm- in the Bukhit Bintag area of KL. We were pleased to see we were on a hidden back street of the up and coming area. A note about our hostel: This place is truly a gem. Sophie and her staff are wonderfully helpful- interested in what we are doing and then there to add suggestions on how to make it that much easier and better. The communal area is great with a book nook, internet access and couch/movies/places to eat breakfast. Book ahead as it gets full. We headed to this Indian restaurant on our street (Tong Shin) named Bollywood- hit the spot and was like stepping into Bombay.

Full Day 2 in KL:

Walked and walked and walked. That is becoming the common theme of this trip thus far. We headed over to the National Mosque- which was quite interesting. We needed to cover ourselves (see picture below--- yes finally a picture!) and remove shoes. An interesting place to learn about the Muslim religion. Walked more over to the KL Lake Gardens- gorgeous area with deer/butterfly/bird parks. After all of this walking we felt it was necessary to sit for a bit and found the perfect bench next to the lake. Low and behold when we are ready to leave we see that Adam had a bunch of visitors- a red ant hill was on his side of the bench- quite the fiasco... luckily not too many bites. Then wandered past Merdeka Square (where KL won its independence) and into an open market bazar. A lot of places to shop and eat at- we think it was the Little India area. I was very adventurous and tried most of the food options- didn't get sick from it either 😊 I hate to admit it but we stopped in the KL Hard Rock for a beer- not half bad and it was a little taste of home. We later headed over to KL Tower (large communications tower) for the view... More walking around! Once again were exhausted so ate dinner on our beloved street at restaurant Maur. (good fried egg with soy sauce.)

Day 3:

Which is today! I will catch you all up on today's happening's tomorrow morning... as we are headed to a karaoke bar right now. Yes, thats right for 38 Ringgit each (10 USD) we will get drinks, a sushi/Malay buffet and a private booth to sing to our hearts content.

Miss you all, keep the comments coming- we will hopefully get better at this shorter more frequent posting tactic.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

KL TowerKL Tower
KL Tower

The view of KL from the tower- the Petrona's towers (where Entrapment was filmed) are in the background.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb