Trip to KualaLumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This is a short blog on KualaLumpur (Malaysia) which can be a very good short holiday destination if planned well. We took this break in the month of September for a week.
Since we prefer not to clog our holiday with too many places to visit and too many things to do, we love to do things our own relaxed way (hate those tours and travels offers of 3D/4N stuff which can get hectic even on vacation).
I will also try and give some food tips for vegetarians venturing out to this country (me being one).
Again we spent all the time in and around KL - you could also plan 2 days trip to some islands like Langkawi.


Getting there -
It just takes 4 working days for the visa stamping done from the Embassy through any authorized agent - which may come up to say 1500 INR. We had booked tickets on Malaysian Airlines. Food on airline is just manageable -so dont rely too much on that.
Once in the KL airport, pick up all brochures you think will be handy.

Staying there -
We had booked the hotel well in advance at a almost budget hotel (Radius Internation) which stands right in the heart of the city - Bukit Bintang, The ONLY advantage of this hotel is that almost everything is at a walkable distance and you dont have to plan too much on travelling unless you plan for a far away place.
BEWARE - YOU NEED TO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH YOUR BELONGINGS IN THE ROOM.
Never leave your purse or any other valuable when you are not around - too many thieves in the hotel - extremely dangerous. (one of my friend lost his wallet containing cash, cards, even license)

Going around -
The best way is to walk - we enjoyed that.
All the shopping plazas (BB Plaza, LowYat plaza, Lot 10,SugeiWang plaza to name a few) are just 5 min walk from the hotel. You also have a number of restaurants in this place.
You get taxis almost everywhere - however it is better you venture on your own atleast to nearby places. Infact the Petronas and KL tower are again walkable distances from the hotel (1.5 km).Take a evening stroll to the Petronas and see the twin towers glittering like diamonds - worth taking a look there.
The bus stand and MonoRail station is again 5 mins from the hotel. Get to the Information center just next to the Main traffic signal in the junction to get hold of some maps and brochures.
Insist on switching on the meter for Taxis everytime - 2 MYR is the minimum.

Food -
Food is very interesting in this place - provided you can eat everything.
It may be a challenge for Indian Vegetarians to find good food here. I suggest a very good hotel "Sri Rekha" (just behind the bus stand of Bukit Bintang) where you can get almost all South / North Indian dishes reasonably priced. We simply enjoyed the food there. There are also some road side restaurants which are not so good - but works out cheaper.
If you happen to visit MidValley Mall, dont miss "AnnaLakshmi". You will simply fall for it.
You also have some good vegetarian restaurants in the Batu Caves temple.

Places close by -
You can just take a walk to all the shopping malls I mentioned above. Watch out for some cool ladies accessories in BB Plaza - and dont forget to bargain :-)
LowYat plaza is THE place for Electronics - anytime cheaper than getting it in India.
Take a look at branded stuff in the Lot 10 mall (no bargains please...)
Visit the tower Bridge in 41st floor of the Petronas - advise to get the tickets early as there was a huge queue when we went there. The visitor passes are free and every slot is about 15 mins.
Enjoy the view from there - architectural marvel.
Also walk up to the KL tower, get a ticket (30 MYR) and go up to the watch tower - havea view of KL city from the tower - you can even see Petronas tower tip from there.
You can also walk up to Berjaya Times Square - which again is a shopping complex. MetroJaya store is worth visiting.

Places not so near -
Dont miss the China Market and Mariamman temple there. Take either the monorail or a bus to Puduraya bus station and walk down the Pasar keni lane. Suggest you do this towards evening as the China town is busstling with activity and you'll enjoy.
You can also take a bus pass (2MYR) for the entire day and visit "Mid Valley Mall" which is a very good hangout for time pass. You can also check out Carrefour in the Basement floor and Metro Jaya. There are also bowling alleys out here for people interested.

Places far off -
Visit to the Bird park is a must for nature lovers (this is the world's largest bird aviary). To get there, take the monorail from Bukit Bintang to KL Sentral. From KL Sentral get a taxi to the park - about 15 MYR. You will just love this place - you can see so many varieties of birds juts walking with you (mind you itz an aviary). We even saw a peacock dancing - what a beauty.
You can also visit the Orchid garden which is 2 mins from Bird park to take a look at the beatifully well maintained variety of flowers. The pics you take will make wonderful wall papers on your computers :-)

Places to plan -
Plan a day's visit to Genting Highlands - which has a very good amusement park. You could even stay there overnight and enjoy the very pleasent weather. The rides are good but you will find them even out here in Essel World (Mumbai) or GRS Fantasy park or perhaps even Wonderla (Bangalore). But never miss the SkyDiving out there in the Indoor Theme park (there is no entrance fee for the Indoor park). You even get Certificates once you are done - this is amazing.
You could either get a bus from Puduraya bus station or hire a cab. If you hire a cab, stop at Batu Caves on the way and climb the 280+ steps to the Murugan temple. This can be a litlle tiring - ensure you have your breakfast before going there :-)
Just near the temple you have Chocolate factory and watch factory - visit these places to get some cool discounts on good chocs and trendy designer watches.

Finally, dont forget to get some foot massages done (available almost everywhere in Bukit Bintang), try out all modes of transport which is fun and works out well, relax, and enjoy







Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb