Beaching it on Kecil Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu
May 31st 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hanging out at Patani Bar/RestaurantHanging out at Patani Bar/RestaurantHanging out at Patani Bar/Restaurant

We call this our neighborhood bar.
We have stayed put on this island and are running the risk of becoming perfectly content, useless beach bums. There isn’t a whole lot to report other than the usual that one does on an island: swimming, sunning, diving, reading, kayaking, eating, drinking, etc. This hotel where we’ve now been for ten days must think us a bit odd since we are also using this portion of the trip to write a lot. With all still being deserted here (or maybe this is what it’s like busy?), the quiet and beauty make it a perfect place to write.

Speaking of our hotel, Impiani, they did fill up the last two days with a group of Chinese who are here with HHH (a running club). Such a fun group. Last night there were races on the beach to beer cans which you had to chug and then run around a chair ten times, then run back. I came in last. Adam second. Urgh.

Being a small island without roads, we’re finding ourselves trekking through the jungle more and taking boats to other beaches when we can’t hike/swim/kayak to get there. One great beach worth checking out, no matter where you are staying, is on the big island Besar and called Paradise Beach. (Yeah, bit of an uncreative name, but apt.) Situated in a half moon bay, this is some of the clearest water I’ve ever seen. And with the palms arcing over the water, it’s just beautiful.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Whole Fried FishWhole Fried Fish
Whole Fried Fish

This was one of the best meals I've ever had. The fish is called sweetlips.
Adam as The ThinkerAdam as The Thinker
Adam as The Thinker

Here is what he's actually debating: if he can handle going into the bathroom and facing the creatures. Always the lizard dude to the left. Roaches. Once a scorpion.
Monitor LizardMonitor Lizard
Monitor Lizard

We saw one of these dudes behind our room--about six feet long, PLUS the tail.


2nd June 2009

wow
adam came in second against a bunch of runners? looks awesome. somehow i wonder how much work you guys are getting done. i know i'd think i would and then wouldn't. i'll never forget adam's reaction to the three inch flying cockroach in our apartment in pusan.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb