The jungle V.I.P.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just to tie of the end of our Malaysian adventures...
We headed out of KL's LCC terminal after a huge fight with air asia over their puny 15Kg luggage allowance and having to fork out 240 ringgits to get on the plain (this actually took so long to resolve that we very almost missed our plane out and they said that they wouldn't refund us for the following flights).
We arrived, a little hastled, in Sandakan in the Sabah district of Malaysian Borneo (you actually have to go through immigration again and get yet more stamps in the passport).
The airline also conspired to break our wheely ruck sack hand luggage so we had a long tussle to get them to agree to fix it and had to dump all of the stuff out of it into bin bags (not the best to travel around with).
After a little searching we found a nice place to stay in the forrest region of Sepilok and spent the next day at the Orang-utan rehabilitation centre situated there watching the Orangs feed and play.
The following day we headed for an overnight stay at Turtle Island to witness the green turtles landing in the night, make their nests and lay their eggs. The facitlity there collect the eggs and release the hatchlings into the sea. It was really cool but everytime we made it on to the beach it conspired to pour down with rain so good photographs were hard to come by 😞
Once back on the main island we took the six hour bus to Kota Kinabalu (driving through the Kinabalu national park housing mount Kinabalu, the highest mountain in South East Asia).
A night in KK was followed by a flight into the Gunung Mulu national park for three nights in the rainforest. The number one sight there are the Pinnacles, huge, razor shark, limestone rock formations that tower. Unfortunately neither Linz nor I have the required fitness to reach them as its a two day climb (litterally rock climbing with no safety ropes at times) so we contented ourselves with tours of the caves and walks in the forest.
In general Mulu was little boring as new government legislation has meant that most of the guides there have had to go on courses to attain certificates and hence there was a shortage of them during our stay. Strange timing given its supposed to be 'Visit Malaysia Year' marking their 50th year of independence from the British.
We flew to Miri in Sarawak in preparation for a short trip to Brunei and our eventual flight out of Borneo but that I shall blog next time.

Take care all,

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



24th May 2007

James Bond Island
Have Been Following your Travels green with Envy. For a big Bond fan like me, good to see a great pic of you guys on James Bond Island.
24th May 2007

Days of Empire
Malaysia sounds great, Urang-Utans brilliant! 50 years independant of the British, I hate those kind of celebrations!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb