More bus station malaise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Miri
August 24th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It took changes of buses in Seria, site of Brunei's first oil find and hence of note in the country's modern history, and Kuala Belait to finally get us out of Brunei. The visa for Sarawak (i.e. Malaysia again) was different to the one we'd had for Sabah (i.e. the previous Malaysian province we'd been in), and another difference between the provinces was that our hotel room in Miri still had a pair of some previous occupant's underpants hanging in the bathroom, a state of affairs we hadn't encountered in Sabah. Miri was purely an overnighter for us, and we were lulled to sleep by the thumping music from a nearby bar that closed at precisely 2:03AM.

Another wearisome bit of travel screwing-around occurred at the bus station the following morning when first we were sold tickets for one bus, then a guy told us to get off because it was full (even though we had allocated seats). We figured he must have found some passengers paying a higher fare or a group that wouldn't fit in the remaining seats (so someone, i.e. us, needed to be booted off), but he was adamant we should get off and have our tickets swapped for a later bus. 5 minutes later, he was telling us again to get back on the first bus, and we gave him an appropriate 2 word response in close harmony.

To compensate, we had the front seats in the next bus and icy aircon that had me purring.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb