Meeting the "Jungle People"


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
December 3rd 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After our motorcycle ride around "Cat City", Patrick was anxious to see his sister Gaby again at the Matang Wildlife Center, a holding center for confiscated and surrendered animals, like Orang Utans. If possible, the animals are rehabilitated and released back into the wild or semi-wild.
Gaby had been volunteering there for a month, and Patrick was picking her up to travel through Malaysia with her. Gaby was our personal guide through the center, which made it all the more interesting!

Orang Utans are impressive animals. Orang Utan is Malay (and Indonesian) for "Jungle People" or "People of the jungle". They seem to be very friendly animals. They can be aggressive and unpredictable though, so we weren't allowed to come too close. Orang Utan "Peter" is known to like T-shirts very much and will rip your clothes off if you come too close!

Besides the Orang Utans, we saw other monkeys like Macaques and Gibbons. We also saw a wild cat, Sun bears and even turtles! ;-)

More about Matang Wildlife Center and their programme with organisation WOX: HERE

In the evening, we were back in Kuching and had a nice rooftop view on the full moon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Gaby touring us aroundGaby touring us around
Gaby touring us around

...looks like serious business, huh? We wore the masks to prevent us giving the Orang Utans any diseases. Thanks for the tour Gaby and respect for all the hard work! Loved your fence! ;-)


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb