Day 03: Kuching (August 2019)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
August 11th 2019
Published: May 30th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 11th August 2019

After breakfast, we headed to the Sunday Market (Medan Niaga Satok) for some shopping opportunities. Since it was a holiday when we visited, closed to 70 percent of the stalls were not opened for business. Nevertheless, we found ways to entertain ourselves by posing plenty of wacky shots by the Sarawak River.

We were back in the city centre by lunchtime. Starting from the atmospheric Old Courthouse building, we made our way to the Carpenter Street where there is a popular satay stall within the airy Lau Ya Keng Foodcourt. There were also other Sarawak staples - Kolo Mee and Laksa to fill our hungry stomachs. After lunch, the group of us headed for drinks at the Granary Cafe to cool down from the heat.

It was free and easy for the rest of the afternoon. Some of us headed to the historic Fort Margherita located at the northern bank of the Sarawak River. The Grab driver was confident that we would emerge from the Fort within 15 minutes since according to him, "there's nothing there". Contrary to his beliefs, it took us more than an hour at the Fort including a guided tour of the Brooke Gallery by one of the friendly staffs.

From Fort Margherita, we decided to cross over to the Main Bazaar via the ubiquitous sampans plying across Sarawak River. As we reached the other side of the riverbank, this is where the famed Kuching Waterfront with its majestic sunset views against the Darul Hana Bridge is located.

Our group congregated at the upmarket Bla Bla Bla Restaurant for dinner. With good food and good company, this was a great meal to mark an end to our trip in Kuching.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb