Mount Kinabalu - All 4095 metres of it


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The honeymoon coupleThe honeymoon coupleThe honeymoon couple

Forget the honeymoon beech resort and cocktails at dawn, we like a differant kinda high !
Having not done the Mulu Pinnacle walk, we were really up (No pun intended) for this. This mountain does go up and up and up, very relentless. To give you an idea of the scale, here are the heights for Ben Nevis (1344m) and Snowdon (1085m) compared to Mt Kinabalu (4095m).

We started early to begin our ascent and it was hot. The walk was 6km to the lodge that you overnight in and you are carrying a rucksack as well. The going was pretty tough and we made it to the lodge 2 minutes before the heavens opened ! The next day we got up at 2.30am to start walking at 3am in pitch black with head torches (We all looked like little moles). We did the last 2.7km in dark in time to see the sunrise as we approached the summit. We have the picture of us at the top to prove it, just before the rain came and we headed down (We also got a certificate !!!). It was amazing, we came back to the lodge, had breakfast and then headed off again to reach the bottom.

5 days on we can still feel it in our legs, but it was all worth it ! Just to keep us in check there was an 87 year old man doing the climb in one day, so we're not complaining too much !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb