Or just near - a small town call Sosondoton!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

( Sorry no pics, do not have the facilities or the time to add any pictures today so you will have to wait for those.)

N e way, i was sent on my community phase to a small village called Sosondoton, just in the foot hills of Mont Kinabalu, it is am amazing little village, and not quite so hot as we were based quite high up.

The project was to build a water graviety system,so as to increase the pressure to the original system. we therefore had to build a dam at the new source - 2.5 km up a massive hill from the orginal source. it was am amazing project, the dam was made from 3 gabions (-which we had to fill with rocks very heavy work 100 meters up a the river) then we concreted the bottom and sides of the gabion also putting the pipe in to the system, connecting the stopcock at the top. We then layed pipe all the way down to the original source, connecting to their system and we also put in two 4 gallon tanks in the village to increase their water volume! it was an amazing project really hard work, loads of hiking up and down the hill! somedays doing about 12km carrying heavy kit. but so worth it, the villagers were so grateful and it has main a major impact on their life. To start with i was not sure if they only wanted us here for the money and equipment, as they could build it with out hassle - but this totally was not the case they loved having us there and made us all feel so welcome and were very helpful and we worked with them to compleat it.

The opening ceremony was amazing, the rep from coca cola came as well as the minister of youth and sports in sabah, they made some great speachs. We then had to dance a local dance (which we had been in training for every other night since we got there but totally worth it) and had to sing a song in malay 'Sayang Kinabalu', was brilliant day also got to wear a crazy malay costume. After the ceremony there was a big party and loads of really great food cooked by the locals.

It was not all playing with pipes though, managed to organise a sports day for the local kids which was a great success, teach in the local community center and also go to the local school. At the school it was mad they just gave you a class for the day and told you to teach them!! very nerveracking but loads of fun and the kids were great. Also on the last night we did a homestay in a villagers house. I was very lucky as Jackie and i managed to go to the teachers house, and they spoke a bit of english!! spent the night teaching the millions of kids that lived there how to plaY SNAP they loved it!! and getting to know the family, it was a brilliant night, we made them pancakes to say thanks in the morning.

My other great acheivement, i managed to build an oven and bake bread, flapjack and short bread the others loved it!! not really been short of food this phase as the locals kept bringing us dinner round - great.

Overall an amazing phase, would not change any thing about it, the village was lovely and gave us lots of presents to take home - mum i will send all these back to you at the end of raleigh. Also a lovely malay traditional costume.

Having the most amazing time - not sure what i am up to next but will update you all soon, keep in touch.

lots of love jo xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kundasang war memorialKundasang war memorial
Kundasang war memorial

For the 2000 British and Oz prisioners that died in the death marches of 1946 at the end of 2nd world war.


26th March 2007

hey sounds really good, hard work im guessing well done! snow boarding is going well, trying jumps now although it was too windy today so we couldnt go up! i would love to see some photos of the traditional costume. cant wait to hear more love you xxxxxxxx ko
24th April 2007

Sounds like you're having a fab time and working hard! Glad to hear that you're practising your baking - looking forward to when you go into action when you get home, served up by you dressed in trad. Malay costume. Keep on enjoying and take care. xxx

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb