Miller round the world Day 10


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
October 10th 2010
Published: October 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up at 7:30. After breakfast at the hotel, we walk to the Nature Centre on the resort grounds for our group's 9:30 appointment. After an introductory video about the Malaysian rain forest, its endangered species and how this Nature Centre is helping, we followed a narrow, winding path up into the rain forest.  The prolific vegetation is astonishing; verdant and lush, trees and vines intertwined with abundant undergrowth. The humidity actually increases here. There is a constant undulating drone from invisible cicadas. At a viewing station, we met a young orangutan male, one of four orangutans who live in this protected area. We marvel at his incredible ability to negotiate the forest from ground to canopy. Orangutans have a remarkable resemblance to humans in their behavior and physiognomy, even though their body structure is quite different. We then followed another trail, climbing high to the top of the hill where we follow a series of suspension bridges through the rain forest canopy. Fascinating, and we are also able to see our resort and the ocean from this unique vantage point.

Lunch on our own.  Vi and I are content with the fresh fruit that is placed daily in our room. At 1:30, we board the bus for a city tour, animated by Darren, who uses the 30 minute drive to teach us the capsule history of the area. In Kota Kinbalu we see the main sights, including two spectacular mosques, a university, and several interesting buildings. It's a cliche, but this is truly a city of contrasts. Shanty towns and "sea" villages on stilts in the ocean contrast with modern condominiums, skyscrapers and malls. Claustrophobic but colorful farmers markets with fish, fruits and vegetables from private farms contrast with air-conditioned supermarkets. We spend an hour and a half at the city museum, featuring an extensive reconstruction of aboriginal villages. We also visit a farmers market and a supermarket, where we pick up some wine.

On returning to our resort, we are treated to a show featuring gamelan music and a series of traditional dances in native costumes. High energy and very entertaining. Supper is a Malaysian "BBQ" that is, naturally, absolutely delicious, particularly the lamb curry.

A very full day and Vi and I are happy to retire to our room, relax with wine (an excellent Chilean Merlot) and catch up on email and such. I upload pictures of Japan to Facebook.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb