Kota Kinabalu - Shangri-La Rasa Ria Resort


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
June 25th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rasa Ria PoolRasa Ria PoolRasa Ria Pool

The pool at Rasa Ria - a place to chill and relax
Transferred to the 5 Star Luxury of Shangri-La - Rasa Ria Resort - nothing like starting at the top end and showing us how we could spend our time in Borneo if we could afford it. Knowing all too well that our accommodation during the placements will be nothing like the Rasa Ria with its pool and beach then it was probably best not to become too attached. But there again I am not really a pool person so after an afternoon poolside I went to check out the recreation activities on offer and came away with a booking for a beach horse ride.

At 5pm headed off down to the beach for my 1/2 ride on a horse called Barooda - who I was informed was once a polo horse belonging to the Sultan of Brunei and now retired - how true this is I do not know but she gave be a lovely ride along the beach. Nothing like have a canter through the surf at sunset.

On the evening me and my roommates nearly missed out on a lovely buffet because we had not realised we needed to eat before an Introduction Talk that evening. Notice I said nearly because there was no way we were missing out on the delicious selection of sweets on offer. Having quickly eaten our fill and with slight indigestion we went to find out what was in store for us over the next few weeks.

The next day was mainly aimed at getting to know the other people on the placement and was pretty free format other that a morning walk along one of the trails of The Nature Interpretation Centre (NIC) attached to Rasa Ria resort. A hot and very sticky trail and climb saw us at the Observation Tower which enjoys a stunning 360 degree view on Kota Kinabalu town, Rasa Ria Resort, the forests and in the distance Mount Kinabalu. Well worth the climb but take plenty of water as it is a hot climb and even hotter at the top.

Must admit to been slightly nervous about the treks we will do at Sepilok if this is anything go by. Katy, Heather and I are the first group to undertake the Treks and Surveys when we make it to our final destination of Sepilok. Hopefully we will acclimatize and get fit quick enough to
Poolside at SunsetPoolside at SunsetPoolside at Sunset

The Pool at Sunset
able to cope.

Still no Orangutans though Rasa Ria does actually have a feeding platform it appears it wasn't on our agenda. Bit gutted and it is torture to know they are so close and I have still not seen one especially as I walk past a image of one every time I return to the room.

Afterwards the "Getting to know each other" was mainly spent poolside cooling off. On the night Rasa Ria had a bit of a show on at one of the Beach Bars but the biting mosquitoes eventually were too much and I beat a hasty retreat to the restaurant and another buffet fest - not really a hardship.

Tomorrow we will transfer to out final destination and I guess leave the 5 Star lifestyle behind.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

FlowerFlower
Flower

Unknown flower in the grounds of Rasa Ria - thought it looked pretty
Flower 2Flower 2
Flower 2

Another flower from the grounds
Horse RidingHorse Riding
Horse Riding

Start of Beach Ride on Barooda - he may be 17 years old now but he used to be one of the Sultan of Brunei's Polo Horse. Not sure if this is true but nice thought anyway and it was still a lovely ride.
Cantering on the beach at SunsetCantering on the beach at Sunset
Cantering on the beach at Sunset

Time to stretch those legs with a canter as the sunsets
Hot at the topHot at the top
Hot at the top

Looking very hot at the Observation Tower with a view on Mount Kinabalu in the background - it was worth it. Really!
Mount Kinabalu from Observation TowerMount Kinabalu from Observation Tower
Mount Kinabalu from Observation Tower

One of the lovely views if you can face the hot and sticky climb to the Observation Tower, part of one of the Trails from Rasa Ria's Nature Interpretation Centre (NIC)
Rasa Ria ResortRasa Ria Resort
Rasa Ria Resort

Rasa Ria Resort from the Observation Tower.
Local CultureLocal Culture
Local Culture

Demonstration of Local Culture - event put on at Rasa Ria Resort
One Final Beach SunsetOne Final Beach Sunset
One Final Beach Sunset

OK by now you may have gathered I like sunsets!
Mosquito AttackMosquito Attack
Mosquito Attack

And this is what you get if you try to take a photo whilst not wearing insect repellent!


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb