Press statement – Raleigh International


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Press statement - Raleigh International



Raleigh International can confirm that at 12.15pm (UK time) on 23.04.07 a road traffic accident took place involving one Raleigh International staff volunteer and nine other project participants, in Borneo, Malaysia.


Toby Eaton-Baudains aged 29, volunteer project manager from Derbyshire, died from his injuries sustained during the road traffic accident which occurred while travelling back from Sepilok orang-utan sanctuary to the project site at Batu Puteh.


Yi Ling Siaw, aged 20, and Matthew Fernandez, aged 19, sustained injuries and are currently at hospital in Kuala Lumpur. All other passengers were taken to hospital as a standard procedure, but are now in a hotel in Kota Kinabalu. Here they will be offered counselling and the opportunity to return to the UK if they wish.


The accident occurred as the driver of the van in which the group was travelling hit a lorry parked at the side of the road. The driver swerved to avoid the lorry but was unable to avoid impact.


Toby’s family has been informed of his death and the incident is currently being investigated by the relevant authorities in Malaysia. All next of kin of staff volunteers and participants currently on expedition in Malaysia have also been informed.


Raleigh International takes the safety of its volunteers and participants extremely seriously.

It is co-operating with the police investigation and carrying out its own enquiries.


Stacey Adams, chief executive officer, Raleigh International, said: “Toby was a really enthusiastic and dynamic person and he brought lots of skills to his project manager role. It is incredibly sad that Toby lost his life. We will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.”


Raleigh International would like to extend its deepest sympathy to the friends and family of Toby at this tragic time.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb