Project Opening


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
April 25th 2007
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kg SosondotonKg SosondotonKg Sosondoton

Alpha 3 at the opening of the gravity water feed at Kg Sosondoton.
GRAVITY WATER FEED OPENING - KG SOSONDOTON

On Friday 23rd March, Raleigh International and the community of Kg Sosondoton welcomed Yang Berhormat Datuk Masidi Manjun, The Minister of Youth and Sports Sabah, to officially its new Gravity Water Feed system. The ceremony marked the end of a successful three-week collaboration between the villagers and Raleigh volunteers. Funding for the project was provided by Coca-Cola Malaysia.


Construction of a gravity water feed system involves a detailed survey of the village and area to ascertain where piping and taps should be placed as well as locating a suitable source. Sources are generally several kilometers from the village and will be in hard to reach areas. Once a source has been identified, it is damned using wire cages filled with rocks and/ or cement. Piping is then laid to several reservoir tanks which enable a head of pressure to be established as well as to cope with periods of high demand.

From these tanks, piping is then laid into the village - this will usually involve digging the pipe into shallow trenches to avoid it being damaged. Finally connectors and taps are installed as the system is established within
Kg Sosondoton opening ceremonyKg Sosondoton opening ceremonyKg Sosondoton opening ceremony

Getting involved with the opening ceremony.
the community to provide the most efficient supply. During the whole process the local community assist with the work and are educated on how to maintain their system in order to provide a sustainable solution to their water requirements.

The ceremony was attended by host local area dignitaries, the AJKKK, Raleigh International Expedition Leader, Laura Parry, and residents from villages in the surrounding area.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sosondoton OpeningSosondoton Opening
Sosondoton Opening

Participants taking part in traditional dancing.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb