The Castle... Well, a Large House. Almost.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Perak » Ipoh
December 25th 2014
Published: April 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Behold!  The house on the hillBehold!  The house on the hillBehold! The house on the hill

Errr, I mean "castle"
Long, long ago, in a land far, far away, there was a man from Scotland. He moved to Malaysia. He decided to build his family a house... and never quite finished it. His family then moved back to Scotland and what's left is known as the Kelley Castle. It's not really a castle, but it is a pretty big house. It has all the trappings of a castle, with secret passageways, spiral stairs, detailed moldings, and dramatic views. Not to mention, it's one architectural marvel after another.

These days, all one can do is walk around and imagine how grand it would have been had it been finished. In my case, this happened in the rain, so the whole place sort of had a romantic, turn of the century movie set feel to it. One gentleman gestured, "Where's your umbrella?" as I dashed across a roof. "In the car!" I said, and we both laughed. Then I made my way back down the narrow stairs (big enough for only one person) and explored some more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The old house as seen from the new houseThe old house as seen from the new house
The old house as seen from the new house

This is where the family lived while the new house (castle) was being built.
HallwayHallway
Hallway

Seriously, so cool!


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb