Viva Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
July 7th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So ready for more world cup action we headed to Penang got ourselves set up in a nice hotel ready for a bit of sightseeing drinking and world cup glory (naïve I know). Our hotel was pretty nice and yet well cheap, unknowingly though we had a room-mate - a big-arse cockroach!! He only stayed the one night as we caught him on the second night and gina finished him off!! Her murdering tendencies are beginning to worry myself and Jemma!!

So we headed out for a bit of sightseeing around Penang, seeing Fort Cornwallis, an old british fort. Although not much remains of the fort itself they had good museum-style historical displays set up in the old cells which was interesting. Gina loved it as there were air con units set up in each cell!! After that we jumped on the free bus and visited a couple of temples although due to the ridiculous humidity we had to stop every ten minutes for water/ice cream breaks.

That evening we headed to Soho bar recommended by an Aussie we met en route to Penang and it was pretty cool. Watched the Argentina vs Germany game before hitting the dancefloor and befriending some fun locals. One of the guys thought he was Micheal Jackson and to be fair was pretty impressive, although I know he was in awe when I did my Highland fling!!

We went shopping the following day and Gina bought a Rooney shirt in preparation for the Portugal game. We headed back out to the Soho bar, joking that Roon would probably get sent off and she would regret the purchase…. Oh how fitting.

After the game we took ourselves home to avoid any pity, got into bed ranted for about two hours about Ronaldo and his expected demise in English football!

After Penang we headed to Pulau Langkawi, another island on the very north tip of Peninsular Malaysia. We didn’t do a great deal here other than head to the beach. The girls decided to do a Jet ski and timed it just right so I’d be left on the beach with all the towels bags, books etc when the thunder, lightening and torrential downpour hit. Fortunately this didn’t distract me from watching Jem attempt to get on the jet ski, I swear I’ve never met anyone with so little balance and grace! Every time she went to get on a wave would knock her down and pull her under much to the amusement of Gina, me and several other passersby that had become transfixed by the bucking bronco jet ski! Once finally on they whizzed back and forth for as long as they could, as Jem couldn’t see where she was going because of the rain she was much more controlled and careful, not the lead footed legend she has been previously so Catherine still holds the title of scariest jet-ski driver after our near death experience in Turkey!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th July 2006

Wish I was there!
Hey 3 bronzed goddesses, I'm loving the tans and Malaysia looks so beautiful and unspoiled. Gotta be better than London. Although we're promised a sunny and warm weekend - going for a barbie which should be cool :-) Just 2 and a half weeks to go! Sorry but am looking forward to seeing you back in Blighty. Loads of love, Jo xx
14th July 2006

jailhouse rock
I guess with the air con on the cell's it would be the best place to boogie on down rather than the clubs or bars though I expect they have air con to.At least you lot wasn't behind bars for real and for that I am grateful.I see jem provided the entertainment once again good job you don't mind being laughed at Jem.photo's are good. I hope you didn't make Fiona stay on her knees too long Gina.Straws and buckets of beer too much for me girls though I doubt you feel the same as photo's prove.Keep on enjoying yourselves girls and take care. Lots of Love Den and John Casey xxx
14th July 2006

Jealousy
Hi Fiona As the comment title said I am green with jealousy - last time I saw Penang I was a nipper. It was lovely then and no doubt it is still. Your time is nearly over and it seems to have been a great ball! Look forward to the long video of your experiences over a glass or two! Love Don and Janet
15th July 2006

Take that shirt back
Well buying a Rooney shirt and joking about the outcome certainly put the 'mokkers' on England - hope Gina got her money back. Nice photo of the three of you before our demise but I wondered whether you looked better in the bar or behind bars. The beaches look great but where are all the people - you seem to get them to your selves. Not sure Lord Cornwallis would appreciate the additional title you bestowed upon him - ah well there you go.
16th July 2006

Jetski etski
Sounds like a Kosavan tennis player. haha Jetskiing sounded like fun once you had got on the thing Jem. So you haven`t got fed up with drinking etc even though you have done so much of it, so no change there then.?. Only two weeks left so make the most of it.!. Love to all especially Spem. XXX.Mad (Jeff N Les )
18th July 2006

Cockroach or Baby Spider?????
Hi Is there anything left for you to see - You are still finding lots of interesting places to visit . I presume the Rooney shirt went to the bottom of the rucksack and a Ronaldo one was bought and shredded into little pieces. Jem on the jetski - now this I would have loved to see - I know what I feel like getting turfed off a lilo but a jetski. It didn't suit you behind bars so just be careful for the last 2 weeks of your trip. Love to you all Joan

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb