A walk on the wild side/ Carry On up the Jungle


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
November 11th 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a blissful couple days in the beautiful Cameron Highlands, batteries re-charged, we were ready to tackle the jungle.
After another bus journey that lasted all day, we arrived, tired and narky and in no mood to go traipsing round for accommodation so we ended up paying over the odds to stay at the Woodlands Resort. At a tenner per night, per person it was more than we're used to but the hot shower alone was worth it.
Taman Negara National Park is 130 million years old and is the second largest jungle after the Amazon, (yes, we do absorb some facts about our surroundings you know) and in the space of about 15 minutes Debbie had managed to break off one of the branches from a tree that had been standing god knows how long by swinging on it like Tarzan.
After trekking for a bit, we went up on the Canopy Walk, looking out over the treetops. It would have been truly amazing had we the courage to look down! With our new found sense of exploration, we decided then to climb to the top of the jungle called Teresk Hill. On the way there, Gina (the Brave, remember?) stumbled across a little green snake. Thinking it was pretty inocuous, and after taking many a close up photo, we were then informed by a jungle guide that said snake was a bronzed back tree snake that is fairly venomous and can give a nasty bite!
We made it to the top after about 2 hours and then had to climb down, which was just as arduous on the legs. We were glad then that we had an afternoon booked to go "shooting the rapids" as it would give us the chance to cool down our sweaty bods.
After swimming in a waterfall for a bit, Billy, our guide for the afternoon and a bit of an artist, found 'colour' stones, which when you add water and rub on a rock, produce amazing colours with which you can paint pictures on yourself.
The one thing that we all agreed that we did not enjoy about Taman Negara was the food. The first night we ate down by the river and poor ole Geen, who by now has somewhat overcome her bug/animal phobias, found one of the little blighters in her sweet n sour! Luckily for me, I ordered a veggie dish so I didn't find any lil hidden surprises myself.
Rather than spend another day cooped up in a minibus for our journey to Kuala Lumpur, we decided to go by boat down the Tembeling River and pick up the bus the rest of the way. This was a fantastic and relaxing way to end our time in the jungle, as we spotted water buffalos and other wildlife on the way.
The contrast to the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur could not have been more extreme . . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

P1010960P1010960
P1010960

After the branch breaking incident Debs attempts a dignified pose (minus the blue socks of course)
P1010963P1010963
P1010963

Walking the canopys
Gorillas in the mist.....Gorillas in the mist.....
Gorillas in the mist.....

...minus the gorillas!!
SNV31959SNV31959
SNV31959

Billy our water colour stone artists


19th November 2008

wow
Hi Becs What a great time you are having wish i was there !! it seems you have made a new friend Debbie ?? you should tell Billy to get over to england and lake a living in tattos he is very good !! Happy Travels - dont get bitten and find a comfy bed sometimes !! Take Care Jo xx

Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.2511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb