The Cameron Highlands - a taste of England


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
November 4th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A taste of homeA taste of homeA taste of home

You can't beat a cup of good old rosie lee!
Going from the sweltering heat of Penang to the cool and damp atmosphere of the Cameron Highlands is a bit of a shock to the system - its the first time that we've needed to pull out the jumpers, but this is a great place and the change in temperature is almost welcome after 6 weeks of heat (can't believe I just wrote that but its true!).
Upon several recommendations, we checked into a place called 'Father's Place', a proper backpackers place which appears to be geared up to meet every demand of the weary traveller. Its really popular so we weren't surprised to find out they only had one room left. We had to laugh when we saw it - a war bunker type affair with 2 double beds that looked pre-war! The facilities are communal, with cold showers (they're meant to be hot) and free daddy long legs in all the toilets. Feels like I'm back in Glastonbury!
There is a great little living room area where you can cosy up and watch films whilst being served lovely food by the one chef who appears to be cook, bottle washer, the lot!
Our priority upon arriving was sampling the
P1010845P1010845P1010845

Our ww2 bunker (aka as apartment!)
feted cream teas that are served up in most cafes here, along with homemade strawberry jam - yum!
Today, we went on a great countryside tour, with our fantastic guide, Mr Singh. We went to a Rose Centre (acknowledging throughout that our mothers would be in their element!), looking at various flowers and fauna, a strawberry farm (again, much sampling), a butterfly farm (Gina the Brave, as I am now calling her after Monkey-gate - see Langkawi entry- even allowed a butterfly and a scorpion on her hand!) a temple and ended up at one of the famous tea plantations where we had a cup of the local brew, Boh Tea (or China Tea) and a piece of cake. Could you ever get more english??!
Loving every minute of the Cameron Highlands so far and we'll be sad to leave, but looking with some excitement, if not some trepidation, to getting in the thick of it in the jungle at Taman Negara.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The beautiful Jade VineThe beautiful Jade Vine
The beautiful Jade Vine

This is 2 flowers that form to make a butterfly.
P1010889P1010889
P1010889

Here you are ma - a beautiful flower for my beautiful ladykins x
P1010898P1010898
P1010898

I ate a bug.
SNV31775SNV31775
SNV31775

Our 5 star digs!
SNV31781SNV31781
SNV31781

Daily ablutions were undertaken here!
SNV31788SNV31788
SNV31788

My gramps favourite flower - and this one smelt beautiful x
SNV31800SNV31800
SNV31800

This ones for you Ray x


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb