The Jungle train and the begining of my jungle adventure.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm bringing sweaty backI'm bringing sweaty backI'm bringing sweaty back

what a view...............of a sweaty back!
Monday 14th August

Well we left Khota Baru at another rediculously early time of something like 4:30 to catch the jungle train which i was looking forward to as it sounded exotic and like something out of a victorian novel where they travel the congo. Unfortunately it wasnt so and my only recolection of the train was talking to a english girl who was originally from Sri Lanka and two old smelly Malaysian ladies throwing cigurettte butts out of the window into the jungle, obviously no one told them about fire safety. Also some of the food they were eating looked and smelt extremely bad.

The train journey lasted aroud about 12 hours and was rather uncomfortable and hot. We finally arrived in a place called jerantut and checked into a hostel. Paul decided to go to the travel talk which i was told was particularly boring and long winded, fortunately i decided to walk around jerantut and listen to a bit of music. Then got some dinner with Paul and Laura and then ventured off to the land of nod.

Tuesday 15th August

The next day we caught a 20 minute bus to Temberling which
me on the boatme on the boatme on the boat

the Boat to Teman Negara
is where we caught the boat from to go into the heart of the jungle and start what was probably the greatest experience of my life. The boat trip was very scenic and reminded me very much of Apocalypse Now. Half way through Paul stopped the boat to go and pee which was exceptionally funny due to the american guy whooping and hollering whilst Paul went for a piss.

Anyway we arrived at the village which was very small, the village was on one side of the river and the national park was on the otherside. We checked into the most horrible hostel i have stayed in and then went for a pot of dinner on a floating cafe and played cards.

Wednesday 16th August

The next day we decided to go on the canopy walk way and just generally stroll arpound the entrance bit to the national park which seemed very swanky. This is generally what most travellers do when they come here and then leave not doing any of the treks which is a pitty although the canopy walk way was really spectacular and the walk to the highest point of the jungle was
a view from the boata view from the boata view from the boat

into the breach
really good and got some really good pictures all though as you can see i was rediculously knackered when we reached the top. On the way back down we thought we had walked into a spot of bother as we heard a big animal amongst the canopy and armed only with my swiss army knife i didnt fancy our chances against a tiger or bear which do roam the jungle. Fortunately it went passed in the other direction, Paul got a glympse of it and saw brown and orange, but i guess we will never entirely know what it was chances are it was a wild boar, which can still be dangerous i might add.
That night we went to be bed in our shitty hostel and dreamt of tomorow and the start of our jungle adventure.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

huge bugshuge bugs
huge bugs

this really was a huge bug and it was outside our room every night
KnackeredKnackered
Knackered

me completely knackered after the treck to the highest point
a view of whats to comea view of whats to come
a view of whats to come

a look into the heart of darkness


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb