I Went To Thaipusam And All I Got Was This Lousy HOOK IN MY BACK!!!


Advertisement
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

That's a nasty first picture, eh? Wish I could say I took it, but I didn't. A couple of friends who came with us to this did, and they were nice enough to let me copy their pics. Thanks Joanne & Yves! So why on earth was this guy getting a pole rammed through his face, anyway? And how the hell did Rob and I stumble upon this? Well, the guy was getting this done to celebrate (if that's what ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Trance or Concentration?Trance or Concentration?
Trance or Concentration?

The people who show their faith through painful acts are said to put themselves in a sort of trance before engaging in the act. Not sure if that's true, but judging by this fella, I'd suspect so.
Face Piercing!Face Piercing!
Face Piercing!

"It'll only hurt for a second, right?"
Psyching UpPsyching Up
Psyching Up

This lady is about to get a pole pierced through her cheeks, like the guy in the previous picture.
Ouch!Ouch!
Ouch!

Told you.
Hook Me Up!Hook Me Up!
Hook Me Up!

Ha ha! HOOK me up! Get it? GET IT?! HA HA!
Stings a Little?Stings a Little?
Stings a Little?

Probably a lot.
Piercings Galore!Piercings Galore!
Piercings Galore!

This is the same guy with the hooks in his back. After having his face and tongue pierced, he walked to the temple in town with someone holding him back by those same hooks!
Mobile Alter UnitMobile Alter Unit
Mobile Alter Unit

Some of the faithful strap on a small alter to their shoulders before walking back to the temple. These alters are also attached to the person via hooks pierced through their skin.
Back to the TempleBack to the Temple
Back to the Temple

Talk about a load on on your shoulders, eh?



6th February 2007

Eww eww eww!!
Hey Tom, I feel I should be grossed out by some of the pictures...especially Buddy who cut his tongue, but actually its really neat...in a "I'm glad its not me" kinda way!! the pictures of the bugs are great. Anyways, have a good time in New Zealand!!!!
6th February 2007

Hey Tom, Looks like you guys are having a great trip, i like the pics and the story`s. Im still on holliday in Holland but i will be leaving tomorrow, im looking forward to go back to Canada. Have a safe trip and a great time in New Zealand. Greetz Roy
7th February 2007

oh my!
Hmmm interesting pics! Seems painful. Hope you enjoyed your trip!
7th February 2007

Kim
Tom I dont know what to say, Im kind of with Lindsey on this one...creeped out yet really facinated, anyways great blog I really enjoyed it!! continue to be safe and looking forward to seeing your blogs from New Zealand! - Kim :)
9th February 2007

Wow
Hi Tom: Great Blogs....I just caught up on my reading since Christmas and I can hear you in your writtngs. Kim is totally right..you have a gift for this. I can see why you have been looking forward to making this trip (since I've know you) Totally incredible. Keep safe and I look forward to reading your adventures is New Zealand.
10th February 2007

you dont know me but..
I'll definatly be staying tuned. Wow, keep taking pictures. And I love the way you write.
10th February 2007

Hello & Thanks!
Hey, it's the CWB Action Team! Nice to hear from you! Staying out of trouble during RRSP season? Man, I miss those days... NOT! Sorry, couldn't resist! Don't feel bad, my broke ass will eventually come back home and you can laugh at me then! Michelle, thank you for the comments, I'm glad you're liking the blog! I looked at your e-mail address - are you from Edmonton too (wem.ca)? Just curious. Later!
13th February 2007

yes well
Long story short... My mom is your moms friend.. lol
16th February 2007

Ahhh,
that makes sense - I think my mom knows half the people in the city.
18th February 2007

close
They live a few houses apart, my moms at #6.
22nd February 2007

ouch!
Wow Tom, that's just unreal. I spent a week in Malaysia, and never heard of that festival. Kinda glad I didn't. They'd laugh at the stupid fainting white girl. Have fun in NZ!!
4th March 2007

The Ouch Factor
Man, this festival would be a sight to see. I think I would pass out. Great info Tom. Have fun In New Zealand. I miss you.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb