Melaka, August 3-4, 2011


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka
August 5th 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Melaka is a UNESCO Heritage City and was historically a very important trading post, initially colonized by the Portuguese, then controlled by the Dutch, and finally the British before gaining independence. The Portuguese and Dutch influence is reflected in Melaka's architecture, and it's a pretty interesting place. The shopping and food is pretty fantastic too, as are the beaches which aren't too far outside the city core. We took a city bus to Pantai Putri, about a 15-20 minute ride from the central bus station. It was a Thursday, and the beach was empty except for a local who chatted us up for a bit before asking how much all our stuff cost and if he could have it. First he wanted my ring, then my wet t-shirt. After the beach we got back on the city bus and went to the Portuguese Settlement, which was also empty and a bit disappointing. Perhaps it livens up at night time and was so quiet because we were there during the hottest part of the day.

Chinatown aka Jonker Walk seemed to be the central place for eating and shopping, especially during the night market on Thursday. There's also an Arab night market on Thursday nights just a short walk from Chinatown, so it was great to stroll through both. The big mega mall was also a nice escape from the heat. We did a night cruise up the Melaka River, very charming. We also walked through Bukit Cina, the oldest Chinese cemetery outside of China. We saw a few giant lizards scurry between the tombstones, and had some pretty good views of the city from there since it's on a big hill. A very popular place with joggers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Melaka streetMelaka street
Melaka street

Pretty sure this street and the buildings along it is a major reason why Melaka has UNESCO Heritage distinction


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb