Malacca


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

CendolCendolCendol

Can'y get enough of the ice sugar coated loveliness!
We did more wandering in Malacca, eating and sightseeing.

Tried the "best" rice ball and chicken, which was no kidding, the best. Frank lashed out and ordered us these two huge drinking coconuts, which seemed to be bottomless. We gave up in the end and slithered off, hoping that the aggressive Chinese lady who ran the place wouldn't scold us for being wasteful. Most days were hot, very hot, so we spent them in the air-conditioned room, before venturing out at dusk.

This seemed to be the plan of the locals as well. One thing that did draw us out during the day was the fabulous Cendol at 88 Jonker street. Covered in a local palm sugar called Gulah Malacca, coconut cream, condensed milk, with red beans and some strange Pandan green noodle things, these ice desserts had both Frank and I hustling through hot streets for more.

Malacca is very historical, a point of which I constantly reminded Frank of. I studied this region's colonial era, another point of which i constantly reminded Frank of. From Portuguese forts, to Dutch revival churches, the colonial heritage of Malacca stretches back to 1511, blah blah blah.....nice buildings.

On top of all the white people things, there is also a proud Chinese heritage, which is most proudly seen in the Taoist, Buddhist, Confucianist temple (so inclusive!) made from materials shipped over from China during the 17th century. We bought some incense and did some sort of praying incense thing towards something, which I'm still not really sure what it was. It was all very cultural. Malacca is the centre for two tourist trades: 1)White people looking for colonial European heritage, and 2) Chinese people looking for Chinese colonial heritage. I'm not sure where the Malays fit in.....

On the last night we were in Malacca there was a street market, which totally went off! Food, music, cripples begging for money, more food and beer, everyone in town got down and had a good-time. The Chinese karaoke was amazing, however the locals do not believe in clapping, or so it would seem.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

Claypot chicken noodle, local spring roll, local otak otak. Yummy!
LunchLunch
Lunch

Chicken Rice balls, and those coconuts!


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb