Historic Malacca


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
March 12th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left KL and the very helpful Equator staff, for a two hour bus ride to the historic maritime town of Malacca (Malaka). The town has a colourful past and has been influenced by numerous cultures - including the Malays, Portuguese-Eurasians, Chinese and Indians, with Portuguese, Dutch and British influenced architecture.

We are staying in a cheap but clean hostel called the 'Travellers Lodge', which has a great roof terrace overlooking a view of the sea. We enjoyed an Indonesian style lunch, before heading off to the city centre. We first noticed a lot of bicycles covered with umbrellas, tinsel and flowers - a common method of transport for tourists! We were very surprised with the amount of tourists visiting the town. Then we had a look at St Paul's church, Christ church and saw a huge replica ship displayed on the Jalan quayside. After we had a look around the Sultanate Palace (cultural museum), which is a wooden replica of a 15th century Malay Palace, which has been constructed without any nails! Then overheated we went to a cafe and ate ice cream. During the night Ellie became acquainted with a cat exploring the hostel, who seemed rather timid!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb