DAY TWO


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
October 8th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Langkawi


My room is able to access the room from the lobby which is nice.

The day started off quite early—I woke up around 5AM—I am sure just due to the time change. I am pretty tired so I think that I will sleep well tonight and pretty much be acclimated to the time difference after today. The hotel had a full buffet and quite good. They had a mix of Malaysian food and Western food. Apparently Malaysians eat meat dishes for breakfast. I opted for some vegetables in a curry coconut milk sauce—very good. I also had some waffles with some coconut syrup which was excellent.

I took the airport shuttle to the train station then a 10 minute train to the airport. Got on my hour flight to Langkawi. Between my breakfast this morning and the offerings on the flight, I am now certified to opine that pink guava juice (offered on the plane) is much better than green guava juice (offered at breakfast).

Right after I got off the plane I got a rental car and two tours. I think the car is a Vivo—anyways I took pictures. I got a 20MR discount because I can
Adaman SeaAdaman SeaAdaman Sea

On Island Hoppiong Tour
drive stick!
I drove straight to my first tour which was an Island Hopping Tour. I am writing this synopsis after day two in Langkawi and in retrospect this tour was okay to good. The tour was designed to take us to various islands in the Adaman Sea. We went to an Island that had a freshwater lake in the middle, watched eagle feeding and then went to another island where we had about an hour to enjoy the beach. I think my favorite part of the tour was the boat driver taking the ocean at extremely high speeds, making sharp turns so that we were almost perpendicular to the ocean, and finding waves that would catapult us into the air. While watching the other groups disembark from their boasts, I felt pretty lucky and that I had got my money’s worth because none of the other groups got off their boats windblown and wet!
After the tour I decided to drive to my hotel, clean up, and get some dinner. The drive was quite actually quite pleasant and driving in Malaysia is not that bad. It is weird driving on the “wrong” side of the road though. Driving around, I really felt like I could see real Malaysian life. What was especially interesting to me was that every fifth house (though they are a bit spread apart) has a little stand out front where the owner sells food and drinks. Every tenth house was a full restaurant! I don’t know how or if these people are able to make a full living off these, but it was interesting to see. Also interesting is the amount of monkeys on this island. They are everywhere! Including hanging out on the side of the road! Well, I drove and got in the general area of my hotel but cannot quite find it. This usually doesn’t phase me and I knew I would find it (which I eventually did after just about a half hour of the following). I had to go to the bathroom really bad. So bad that at one point I tossed around finding an empty alley way or peeing my pants and they both seemed like viable and respectable options. So being lost and this situation did not make for a good combination. I eventually just parked my car and walked into a hotel lobby and pretended I was staying there and asked for the lobby restroom. Problem solved. Got back in my car and soon found my hotel.

The hotel is nice, pretty quiet and small. When I checked in they knew who I was without me even telling them! I guess Rebecca Heller isn’t a typical Asian name. After getting settled I went and got some dinner next door—some noodles which were very good and some sour plum juice. They have so many different types of juices here in Malaysia I am determined to try something different each day. (Earlier in the day I had lycee juice, okay). Anyhow, I can now say that I don’t care for sour plum juice—but how many people can say that and have credible reasons! PS, food is very cheap here. Dinner was $3 USD.

Right behind the restaurant they were having a night market. It was pretty fun to see—tons of food, clothes and goods. I had some delicious corn cake—one with a pineapple filling, one with a coconut and one with a red bean past. They are a dessert and were so good!

It was a long day so I came back and hit the sack!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

CarCar
Car

Notice something missing?
Adaman SeaAdaman Sea
Adaman Sea

Island Hopping Tour
Adaman SeaAdaman Sea
Adaman Sea

Island Hopping Tour


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb