A bit of a pallaver!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kelantan » Kota Bharu
October 2nd 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 191 (02.10.07)

As we were leaving early in the morning we had had to set the alarm to get us up - tha lazy days had meant that the constant 6am wakeups were a long and distant memory. Up packed and ready to go down to the beach we went to reception to get our valuables from the safe. Unfortunately, unbenownst to us, the reception was not to open until 8am - the same time as our boat! Oh dear. Feeling pretty bad (not that bad as there was no sign to day it would not be open) Mark went and woke one of the owners and got him to come and open the safe or us - result!

With 5 mins to spare we got our stuff and went down to the beach to get our boat only to see it disappearing into the distance. It was going to be one of those days! Not best pleased we spoke to the owner of the bungalows we had been staying in and he rang the boat to see if they could come back (as they had left early). He said that if we paid for a taxiboat to the other side of the island it coud pick us up from there. Not impressed with this idea Mark used the owners mobile to speak to the boat company who eventually decided they would come back and get us.

Speeding back across the waves we arrived at the pier in Kuala Besuit to the shout of tickets please. Mark searched every pocket in vain but must have dropped the ticket somewhere in the rush to get on the boat. Bugger! Luckily we were able to check our names off on a list in the office and were free to go and get our bus. We hoped that the morning's pallaver was now over and that the day would now get better.

A 2 hour bus later we arrived in Kota Bharu. We booked our ongoing transport for the following morning and dumped our things off at a guesthouse.

Walking into town we grabbed a delicious plate of fried noodles from a basic cafe and went to explore the local market. The market is housed in an interesting octagional building where the central section is 'cut out' and you can look down on the colourful and bustling fruit and veg stalls below. We stood and watched for some time enjoying the sight of local life in full flow.

We then went shopping for some shoes for Chrissie - for our ongoing mission to get suitable clothes for Singapore and working in Australia. Chrissie managed to find two pairs whilst Mark (not wanting to feel left out) treated himself to another pair, each pair costing about a tenner. An extravagant spend for us!

We finished the day with a fantastic curry from a street stall and some time repacking our bags to fit in our new purchases.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our room ... Our room ...
Our room ...

looks like a laundry shop!


Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 39; qc: 159; dbt: 0.2606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb