Kota Bharu, Kelantan


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kelantan » Kota Bharu
August 27th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 6.12, 102.24

This covers our first adventures in Kota Bharu, often referred to as the most Malay area of Malaysia.

We sadly bid adieu to our lovely island of Pulau Lang Tengah, found the car as we left in in the parking lot on the jetty, and headed north. Most of the drive was NOT in view of the ocean, as we had naively assumed, but we did stop and take photos of PLT along a lovely stretch of beach and park - and then we heard tinkling bells.... Yes, an ice cream man!! coming down our little road on a motorcycle. The 3 little helpings of different ice creams were served in a bun! Not bad.

We arrived in Kota Bharu and found our hotel to be very fancy: doormen everywhere wearing traditional Malay formal cloths --a long jacket and trousers with sarong in between made of songket - cloth with silver running thru it.

Went for a wander and lunch - found a multistory mall of stalls, mostly beautiful cloth - tempting!! and fruits and veg and all. We ate in a tiny food court and had to ask for assistance at every turn - and at every turn everyone is most helpful. Interesting, but 3 times now we have been asked our age!? We wonder why.

The food was excellent of course - fish curry and nasi goreng. Jean had "teh tarik" which is a sweet milky hot tea with froth.

Then we headed out in search of a more varied shop, and discovered the info tourist bureau - the best "accident" of the trip. We, who have never been on a tour, signed up for a 4 hour one with taxi, along with Roselan, a man who is most knowledgeable about Kota Bharu (submits to Lonely Planet guidebooks). He advised us to walk back to the cultural center for a free 2 hour+ demo of martial arts/dance mix - quite alot of Thai influence - and drumming group (David got to try out), top spinning, which is a man's game in the old kampungs (villages) and quite skilled. Jean got to produce a piece of batik art, the best $4 ever spent! It poured with rain just in time, and later we searched out a well recommended satay restaurant (as we hadn't really had any except at our hotel in K.L.). excellent. We are so used to being the sole Caucasians everywhere, and we find ourselves speaking very basic English to each other in the privacy of our hotel room - ha ha.

Advertisement



28th August 2016

Love you guys!!!!
28th August 2016

I'm loving all the pictures and stories! I think they ask your age because dad's hair (not sure if you've noticed) is beginning to go a bit silver ;) Seriously though, they probably ask your age because they are so impressed with your adven
turousness and want to keep that high standard in mind when they are your age!
3rd September 2016

Totally enjoying all the wonderful pics of delicious food, flora, & fauna! Looks like you are having a ball. Be safe.Hugs,Brian & Donna

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb