Langkawi - Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
March 9th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5am - wait for our longtail boat driver to wake up (he had to sleep in the boat because the tide was going out and he wouldnt have made it over to collect us in time otherwise), get a longtail boat to the mainland, then a minivan for 5 hours to Satun, then a ferry for 1 hour to Langkawi and then a taxi for 30 mins - finally arrive in Malaysia at 4.30 pm and head off to try and find beds for the night!

The rain followed us to Malaysia but thankfully it only lasts an hour or two! Langkawi is nice but its low season and most places on the island are shut. We decided to rent a car to explore the island ! Toni the Toyoto was our mode of transport for the day and she was some machine - a 1.3 automatic soccer mom car !!

First stop was the Langkawi cable car in the Geo Park - this was really cool and gave us a chance to see the whole island. There was also a funky suspension bridge on the top of the mountain overlooking the jungle - Luke was very excited at the engineering feat that it was so hence we took a million photos of it while everyone else was busy taking photos of the scenery from it !!

From here we went to a crocodile farm where were not sure but i think most of the crocs were either dead or plastic as they didnt move at all!! They were a few live ones though and a croc show where 3 crazy Malaysian's stuck their fists into the croc's mouth and stood on their backs !

It was roasting hot in Langkawi so set off to find a beach - which we did but little did we realise that swimming in normal swimming attire is not at all normal on Malaysian beaches and especially not on the one we found. All the Malaysian women were swimming fully clothed from head to toe - no skin showing at all and there we were two white ghosts, in a bikini and board shorts - needless to say this attracted a little bit of attention so it was the quickest beach stop ever !!

We really like Malaysia, although similar in parts to Thailand it is alot more developed. The people are lovely and there is a real mix of cultures and religions throughout the country.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb