Penang - Georgetown


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
March 9th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Penang on Saturday - it is much bigger than we expected. Staying at nice hostel in the city. First port of call when we arrived was to find a pub showing the match - not an easy feat when there is no Irish pub and all they show over here is soccer.

Eventually thought we had found one so headed off for dinner only to return to find out that the badminton and soccer was on instead ! Rounded up a few more Irish supporters and found a sports bar, The Tiger Arms which was showing the matches. Ended up gathering a good crowd and despite the result it was a good night.

It was the Malaysian general election here on Saturday and the oppostion party won - people in Penang were not too happy with this result so the Irish expats we met in the bar watching the match warned us not to walk around the city that night as they feared there would be trouble. As it turned out there didnt seem to be any major problems that we heard of.

Explored the city on Sunday but it is so hot it is difficult to walk around. So on Monday we took to the beach but again swimming was a bit uncomfortable as all the locals were swimming fully clothed ! So needless to say we stuck out a bit ! All the kids just arrive down from school and go swimming for hours.

Decided to leave Penang on Tuesday and hit the road for the big smoke - KL !




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mad Malaysian RestaurantMad Malaysian Restaurant
Mad Malaysian Restaurant

There was no menu just a man who called out what was on offer - all we understood was chicken so went with that - it turned out yum !


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb