Relaxation Time


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
July 16th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ferry to Langkawi was an experience I would rather not relive, thankfully James and I are not prone to sea sickness, however it would seem everyone else on the ferry was!

We have spent the last week in the Beach Garden Resort on Pantai Cenang. The weather has been varied, but the tropical storms have allowed us time to organise our arrival in Melbourne. With the first apartment we planned to rent falling through, we seem to have lined up another (thanks to an excellent reference from Steve), in what seems to be a desirable area (fingers crossed).

Most of our time has been spent reading on the beach and around the pool, but we did find the time to hire a car for all of £8 and tour the island for the day. Took in all the tourist sites and checked out the posh five star hotels. Had planned to take the cable car up one of the mountains to take in the view of the island, however it was typically closed for maintenance. However having now seen the cable car and the steepness of the incline, I was secretly relieved. Instead we drove our little matchbox of a car up the tallest mountain on the island only for the cloud to block the view!

We have spent most of our evenings trecking to Pantai Tengah, the next beach along, since the restaurants there are much nicer than Cenang, except for our hotel restaurant which had a beach front location (can recommend any restaurant in the Sun Group chain). There is also a happening bar, slightly busier than the Prom Club in Cheltenham, with all the cheesy music from the 60’s to 90’s you could ever want. In fact the Island seems to have missed the 21st century music scene completely.

Have enjoyed the duty free island status, the beer here is half the price than on the mainland.

Another rainy day yesterday led us to Underwater World, Malaysia’s largest aquarium, which was an enjoyable way to pass an hour, more so for James. I am now terrified of entering the sea.

We have just checked out and are now waiting for our transfer to Perhentian. Another ferry and then a 10 hour overnight bus journey along the northern border. Apparently the bus is a Super VIP, but that remains to be seen. I am dreading this journey, as thus far have avoided the squat toilets, but think my luck might be about to run out! We will let you know how we get on…





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb