Rocks, squeaks, and screams


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor » Johor Bahru
March 9th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Getting a train out of Singapore for Kuala Lumpur was impossible. Weekends are always hectic for crossing into Malaysia. However, not only has an Islamic militant been running loose , but Malaysian elections were taking place and the weekend marked the start of a week-long school holiday. Brilliant! Was I ever going to get to leave Singapore?
Enter the overnite express commercial bus with a grueling 4:30am arrival @ Puduraya bus station (not for the faint of heart). Despite warnings to the contrary, getting through immigration was a breeze. The real fun started just north of Johor Bahru when a large rock came flying through the bus window behind my head. Startled out of slumber by the sharp crack! which somehow stood out over the din of RAMBO blaring on the sound system, the Malay family taking up the rest of the lower deck was in a frenzy, and their 12yr old daughter showered in glass. Stop the bus, I'm getting off! Not really an option.
After pulling over for a cleaning and filing a police report, we were on our way again. Squeaky springs, stressed out passengers and a driver hell bent on making the scheduled arrival despite the 45min detour made for a crazy rest of the ride. Everyone's nerves in tatters and the gossip running the gamut from Mao Tse Tung to rebellious youth. Welcome to Malaysia!
Pulling into the bus station exactly on time meant the one hour cushion I had given Stephen and Sue Nah to come get me would be spent hiding in the corner of a well lit 7-11 reading Malaysian Glamour. After a hastily eaten roti and hazy drive back to their place, it's time for all of us to have a nap before hitting the sights.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb