Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
October 21st 2007
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The group at Largo do SenadoThe group at Largo do SenadoThe group at Largo do Senado

The beautiful square in the old part of Macau. Largo do Senado is about as Portuguese as you can get.
We had a day trip to Macau. Macau was the first European enclave in Asia. It was under Portuguese control for about 500 years until it had its own handover in 1999. The Portuguese influence remains in much of the architecture, shops and street and location names. It is a 45 minute ferry ride from Hong Kong and you are required to present your passport and go through immigration. There is great furniture and antique shopping in Macau.
One of the main attractions (for some) in Macau is the gambling. There are huge casinos there, and more money passes through the Macau casinos than through Las Vegas. The casinos are crass and out of place but are probably the main reason for Macau's economic development over the past 10 or so years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Joel and TomJoel and Tom
Joel and Tom

Joel and Tom at the square of Largo do Senado
Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

Lunch at the Caffe Toscana. It was more Italian than Portuguese but great food none-the-less.
Ruins of the Church of St PaulRuins of the Church of St Paul
Ruins of the Church of St Paul

The church was built by the Jesuits in the early 17th century. It burnt down in 1835. All that remains is this magnificent facade. The facade has intricate carvings that describe the history of Christianity in Asia.
The Entrance of St PaulThe Entrance of St Paul
The Entrance of St Paul

Standing at the entrance of the church. There is a museum behind the facade containing the relics of the Martyrs of Japan and Vietnam.
Inside the MuseumInside the Museum
Inside the Museum

At the back of the church is a crypt containing relics of the saints. There are also exhibits of paintings, sculptures and objects. This is Jenni, Tom and Joel in the Museum.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb