Hong kong - Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
June 14th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up at 9:00, got packed and checked out of the Lucky guest house.

We made our way on foot to the ferry terminal to catch the sea cat to Macau.

The journey was only 1 hour but probably the most comfortable id ever had. While onboard we manged to rediscover some chinese prawn chrisps we had had as kids (totaly by accident.)

We arrived in Macau and caught a black cab to the Central Hotel, although i did need to give directions to one of the cabbys english speaking mates down their mobil so that they could relay the message from english to cantonese back to the driver.

As we arrived to the Hotel it started to hammer it down. The hotel (very basic, bathroom very scanky) was situated in the portuguese colonial heart of macau. The area is full of lovely colonial buildings. We dumped our stuf off and went for a walk in the centre and made our way to the famous Sao Paulo Cathedral ruins. Took some photos before finding an excellent place for lunch just down the road (awesome portuguese food made by a quite tall Chinese lady). We then walked round Macau centre
and climbed the fort (Fortaleza do Monte) near the ruin to take in some of the sites of Macau.

After wards we wondered down and saw a colonial church (which the name I have now forgotten) before getting some icecream and heading off to go and see the Gula Fort and lighthouse.

We caught a cablecar up to the Fort and had a walk up in the surrounding parks. It started to threaten to rain so after seeing the fort and lighthouse we headed back down only to end up stranded by a hugh down pore of heavy rain.

Later we grabbed a cab to the convention centre (lonely planet said there was a cinema there but was wrong) and nearby we stopped for some coffee and hot chocolate.

Afterwards we headed down to the Macau tower on foot (apparently there was a cinema there). On the way as it got dark the Baia de Praia Grande(surrounded by loads of super casinos) light up like a christmas tree (well more like vegas really.)

We had a really expensive meal there (the service was terrible) and later found out that the cinema was closed due to
some works. Thanks to the nice lady at the service desk we got some directions to the cinema down town and just made (missed the first 10min) the last showing of Oceans 13. Good film but the series is starting to feel a little thin in creativaty and the format felt like it was getting tiersome.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 87; dbt: 0.2023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb