Loving Land Locked Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
February 17th 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I had visited Laos 6 years ago, and really wanted to bring Jane to see this amazing land. From the moment you change up your 100 pounds travellers cheque (there are no cashpoints in Laos), and get given 1,800,000 kip in 20,000 kip notes (the largest denomination), 90 notes in all - you know that you are in for an adventure. Crossing into Laos from westernised Thailand, over the Mekong River and suddenly everything takes on a slower, more relaxed pace.

Our first stop was the capital Vientiane, hardly a metropolis with only 200,000 people living in the city. There's no McDonalds, no shopping centres and only 4,000km of paved roads in the whole country. Being a former French colony, there's plenty of baguettes, croissants, cheeses and wine - unusual for most of Asia. Luckily for us, Beer Lao is also readily available and at 40 pence a pint, it wins the 'cheapest beer of the honeymoon' award (so far).

It was wet on our first day in Vientiane, so we visited some of the wats (temples), the local (huge) market and Monument Anovsavari - more commonly known as 'The Vertical Runway', so called because an aid package from the US consisting of concrete to build a new runway in the city, was 'diverted' up the river to complete this unfinished monument!

Next stop, Vang Vieng three hours North. Lovely limestone outcrops, caves and rivers. A great place to chill out watching the sunset down by the water whilst sipping on a beer Lao.

A long, bumpy, windy, seven hour bus trip North again, brings us to our next stop - Luang Prabang, a UNESCO world heritage site situated on the banks of the mighty Mekong. A couple of lazy days here soaking up the city's heritage and soaking up the herbs in the Red Cross steam bath after spending a WHOLE TWO POUNDS on a full body massage.

Getting back to the border crossing with Thailand at Ban Houei Xai means river travel as there is no road route. There is the option of 7 hours on a speedboat, but accidents have happened, particularly during the current dry season, when shallow waters and rocks are abundant. So, we go for the slow boat. The name - slow - has never been more apt. As we were going upstream, sometimes it felt like we were going backwards when we were fighting against rapids!

It's two full days on the river, with a night stop in the small, unmemorable town of Pak Beng. Chugging upstream passing tiny Lao villages, fishermen, rice cargo boats, watching rural life by the water's edge with children playing and bathing, mothers washing clothes ... it is like going back in time. It's so enchanting that you forget about the hard wooden seat you've been on for the last ten hours and your numb bum!

Then we cross over to Thailand the other side of the river and suddenly you're transported back to the modern world.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The Vertical RunwayThe Vertical Runway
The Vertical Runway

Completed with concrete donated by the US for a new runway at the airport!
Toilet stop!Toilet stop!
Toilet stop!

Not quite Watford Gap services, but plenty of bushes to hide behind!
Sunset over the Mekong in Luang PrabangSunset over the Mekong in Luang Prabang
Sunset over the Mekong in Luang Prabang

This is where our slow boat up the Mekong left from
Monk in a rush at the night marketMonk in a rush at the night market
Monk in a rush at the night market

Jane's very proud of this potential award winning photo
Chatting to young monks at the top of Mount PhoussiChatting to young monks at the top of Mount Phoussi
Chatting to young monks at the top of Mount Phoussi

Monks very interested in chatting about English football ... they were Liverpool supporters!
Wat gardens in Luang PrabengWat gardens in Luang Prabeng
Wat gardens in Luang Prabeng

Can't remember which wat this was as we saw so many of them
Slow boat to Pak BengSlow boat to Pak Beng
Slow boat to Pak Beng

You can see Jane sitting third window from the back
River kids with pet monkeyRiver kids with pet monkey
River kids with pet monkey

Each time we passed a settlement along the river, everyone stopped to stare and wave
Mini entrepreneursMini entrepreneurs
Mini entrepreneurs

One of the very few stops along the river, when about 6 kids jumped on the boat selling crisps, beer, water and pineapple!


24th February 2006

wow
looks amazing I have to go to Laos now ! Love em blogs so keep em coming. Great to skype the other night - flowers arrived perfectly - thanks Jane :-)
24th February 2006

nice photography!
24th February 2006

i can see what you mean by the award winning photo! Thats so funny! Carry on with the blogs.. enjoying them lots:) jules xx
24th February 2006

Loving the blog titles! XX
24th February 2006

Thank you for the pics of Laos. I wish I'd managed it on my 2 recent trips. But it's definately on the list for the next one! And even more so after reading your blog! Thank you!
24th February 2006

So Jealous....
I can't believe your photos, it looks amazing... I am so jealous. It seem like a lifetime already since Watsons bay...Keep the blogs coming lots of love to you both A xx
25th February 2006

Photos
We love all your photos. What an amazing adventure you are having.
26th February 2006

Oh the envy continues! Laos is definately one of my favourite places - it's uncanny how similar some of your photos are to the one's I took last year. So happy to hear what a fantastic time you're having. Take care love Harry xxx
27th February 2006

you buggers!! Loas was one of our favourte places..in our niavity we changed 100 pounds there and needed a truck to carry the Kip back to our hut!! looks fab..have a beer Laos on us ...oh go on have 2 quids worth, (will give you the cash when we see you in the big smoke)

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb