Slowboating Down the Mekong!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
February 25th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From the border control, we hopped aboard the slow boat...a large, long and low wooden boat! For some reason the Laos men saw fit to give the VIP seats to Laura, Emelie, Nicole and I! Julien sat with us too and soon we made some new English friends! This was our group for our trip in Laos...such fun times!

The landscape along the way was amazing...the river is vast! Later in the afternoon we had our first taste of Beerlao...an interesting yeasty experience!

After around 8 hours on the boat...we docked at a small village called Pak Beng where lets just say the Golden Triangle is very much alive!

As the boat docked we were greeted by what must have been the whole village...kids trying to carry our bags up the steep bank and men trying to entice us into their guesthouses! Of course there was the usual amount of people just having a good oggle at all the Westerners!

We decided to all stay at the same guesthouse, soon we were safe in our room over looking the Mekong river...unfortuntaly the room lacked curtains and a substantial lock on the door! The welcoming commitee certainly was keen to get our attentions...

Soon we discovered that the whole town was run on one small generator which was turned off at 10:30 every night...leaving the whole village in complete blackness...never before have i experienced such darkness...you literally could not see your hand infront of your face! Thankfully the men at the guesthouse gave us a candle so we could brush our teeth etc...

Another early morning loomed...we had to get up extra early the next day to be packed and breakfasted and reclaim our special VIP seats...


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb