Slowboating to Luang Prabang, Fresh Mornings, Laos BBQs and Bowling after Curfew!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
February 26th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So it turns out that a lot of people got jealous of our VIP seats...and turned up mega early for the boat...!

As we were eating our breakfast eggs we were alerted that some nerds had stolen our seats! Cry...

We rushed down to the dock, but it was all in vain, we had to endure the long journey sitting on the floor of the even lower boat! Yikes...the boys next to us were horrid too! The gang was split up...only to regroup when we arrived in Luang Prabang at dusk!

We checked into a hotel in the centre of town...v nice and v cheap! Good times!

I think Laura and I had the honeymoon suite...very nice!

After a much needed shower after a dusty day on the boat...we headed over to the Laos Garden Bar and had a Laos BBQ and some cocktails! The BBQ consisted of a bucket of hot coals, nestled in our table and a big pan type contraption put on top. A grill in a Laos BBQ would not do, because they have soup in which they stew the vegetables and hard boil the eggs...the noodles of course also have to be cooked in the soup...not sounding like a regular bbq with bangers and burgers is it?!

We cooked chicken, beef, pork and BUFFALO....mm was sooo good and we were all very full afterwards! The boys looked uber jealous that they were not brave enough to have a bbq....really I just think they were too lazy to cook their own food! :- P

After dinner etc, we headed to the bowling alley....

There is a nation wide gov curfew in Laos....everybody (including tourists) must be at their registered residence by 11pm...however, somehow they manage to get around this rule by shipping all the tourists off to the bowling alley for some good clean fun.

I must say Laos was an improvement on the seediness that can be seen in some places in Thailand...relations with a Laos man or women is prohibited unless you are married...so this cuts out a whole industry which is widely available in Thailand!

Bowling was super fun...and of course I managed to make a complete ass of myself due to my lack of bowling skills! Pretty English Boy (who was equally, if not worse than me at the bowling) did actually offer me money for me to lose on purpose so he didnt look bad in front of the girls....oh dear!

After bowling, we headed back to the hotel for some singing and chats...this did not make us popular with the locals....ouch!



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nicole and PaulNicole and Paul
Nicole and Paul

Plus the BBQ being lowered into the hole....


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb