Sabaideeee!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well our Lao adventure has finally come to and end, and what a good time it's been. Never have we been in a country thats had to face so many hardships where the people are so laid back, and friendly as here in Lao. Trivia time, whats the most bombed country in history? You guessed it, Laos! So they've been through quite a bit.

Anyways after their trekking experience, the boys decided that they needed to experience something that was a little less ummm cultural. So after a 6 hour bus ride through and around and up and down and over the hills and mountains of Lao the boys made it into Vang Vieng. Vang Vieng itself is a little bit of a party down, due to it being in between Luang Prabang and Vientiane the locals decided that they'd set it up to cater to backpackers just like the boys. Anyways after arriving in Vang Vieng and dropping their stuff off at their bamboo bungalow the boys had a quiet night in anticipation of their attempt at 'tubing', the real highlight of any trip to Vang Vieng. Setting off at about 12 in the afternoon, the boys grabbed their inner tubes and headed up river. Essentially, tubing is the greatest and worst idea at the same time. The boys floated down river and every 50 metres or so theres a Lao family that has set up a makeshift bar that fishes you in and pours you some free Lao Lao (rice whisky or nail polish remover) and offers you up a Beerlao. What makes it even better though is that theres hundreds of people floating the river at the same time and at every stop a different form of fun is offered. Mud volleyball, trapeze's into the water, ziplines into the water etc etc etc. Needless to say, the boys enjoyed themselves...

After too much time hanging out at the bar run by Mr. Lao Lao (you can guess where he got his name), the boys got to bed surprisingly early (they still can't figure out why), and ready to head to the capital of Laos, Vientiane. Vientiane is a capital city that isn't really a capital city, with a population of only 200, 000 its more of sleepy river town that a city, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. Arriving in Vientiane a little cloudy in the head, the boys decided it was time to treat themselves. After an hour long massage and two of the best steak dinners they've ever had in their lives (lots of French cafe's, brasseries, and restaurants here) the boys ended up about $7 out of pocket. They love Laos. The second night in Vientiane offered something a little bit different however after the boys made friends with pretty much everyone in their hostel and headed out into town to celebrate a Canadian girl staying with them who was turning 25. After a big dinner with about 12 the group made there way to the hotspots that Vientiane had to offer and had one of the best nights so far on the trip. Not only were they the only foreigners in every night club they went into, but they had to try and convince all the local Lao that they could dance around and enjoy the top 40 of today's Lao music scene. Hilarity ensued. An late night and a late morning later the same group went to one of the local five star hotels and spent the day at the pool, backpacking is a tough tough life, we really are roughing it. Anyways later this afternoon the boys are shipping off to 'Nam, so get your protest songs ready. Kisses and hugs the boys.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb