Holy beyond believe.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
August 4th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Temple doors at...Temple doors at...Temple doors at...

Wat Si Saket in Vietianne.
Vietianne, 14-03-2008. The inner Sanctum Sanctorum of Wat Si Saket has got nice murals but are, unfortunately, in a serious state of neglect. The Sanctum Sanctorum itself is dank and has this particular smell of bird poop gather over many years in an abandoned church spire. The bird poop smell is mixed with the smell of dirty unwashed socks - take off your shoes before entering - belonging to the members of the many organised, tour-guided groups of farangs that come in a-plenty. Most of them in their mid fifties and hung with heavy and expensive camara equipment. The ohs and ahs are rife in the dank air while they listen in awe to their guide. I've placed myself near a wall on the floor and eavesdrop on the explanations. Huge images of Lord Buddha against the back wall and literally thousands of small statues placed in in niches in the walls. Rows upon rows of niches horizontally and vertically each containing one or two small handsized Lord Buddha statues. Despite the serious state of neglect that rules the whole area of Wat Si Saket, I've no doubt this place is holy beyond believe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Wooden dragon at...Wooden dragon at...
Wooden dragon at...

Wat Si Saket in Vietianne.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb