Happy Songkran and then there was Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
April 15th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

 Happy Songkran- weeklong water throwing fest! Happy Songkran- weeklong water throwing fest! Happy Songkran- weeklong water throwing fest!

Load up the pickup, throw some water
E-mail #2- New Country, New Explorations!

Hi everyone!

Since my last e-mail, I am certified to scuba dive to 18m, participated in Songkram (new year) water/ talcum throwing rave/ parties in Bangkok, and finally left Bangkok for Laos. We are presently in Vang Vieng where there are stunning views of limestone caves. Laos is much different from Thailand. In Thailand, you see all the things that you would expect to see at home and everything happens on time, on schedule. In Laos, it's like entering a third world country. Much of the trip to Vang Vieng, I saw poor (by our standards) people living in bamboo huts. Vang Vieng is a rapidly changing little town, attracting many tourists. This region is just ripe with beauty! Unfortunately, the Laotian people have not quite grasped onto the concept of tourism and as such, today, we spent the day being slightly annoyed and irritated that we were being asked to pay 50 cents - $1 to enter caves/ lagoons and even bamboo bridges over rivers by people who have layed stake to those areas. I know, you are thinking, it's NOT much money at all but the fact is that it's a relative cost when everything around us costs only a fraction of what we would pay in Canada. If they could think of a system to charge us without leaving us with the feeling of being scammed, it would be so much more positive for this region. Seems that many tourists are feeling the same way.

Anyways, enough complaining. Our day was filled with lots of fun. We rented a crappy scooter and made our way on dirt roads out to visit some caves. The highlight was when Nick decided to go through the river as a protest to paying 50 cents to cross the bridge over the river. We ended up flooding the engine and had to dry it out for about 15 minutes while a group of Laotians gathered around to look at the "dumb" tourists.

Tomorrow we are going to make our way north to Luang Prabeng. It is supposed to be the jewel of Laos. From there, we will make our way into Cambodia to see the ancient (UNESCO designated heritage sight) Angkor Wat.

Hope everyone is doing very well at home. Keep me posted on your goings on as well.
Much love,
First taste of LaosFirst taste of LaosFirst taste of Laos

In Vientiene, we met a local who made the best subs and spoke 4-5 languages. Also found ourselves with some Vancouverites.

Kel



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

The almighty scooter
Vang Vieng storm's a comin'Vang Vieng storm's a comin'
Vang Vieng storm's a comin'

This storm hit us as a wind/sand storm and then the skies let loose
Stormin' mealStormin' meal
Stormin' meal

As the storm roared away, this meal prooved to rumble the ole stomach as well. HOTTEST meal ever!
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Took us 16 hours to get here by bus. Temple by the palace
Luang Prabang night marketLuang Prabang night market
Luang Prabang night market

Nice market..regretted not buying some things there.
Laos scenic shotLaos scenic shot
Laos scenic shot

From the Long long long bus ride


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb