Andy and Melissa buy RINGS! In Vang Vieng. Rubber ones!!!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
June 28th 2006
Published: July 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today (27.06.06) is day 300 of our trip!!

We decided today we would have a relax day. Yes I know it seems like as our trip has gone on we seem to be having more of these.
After brunch we had a walk around the town, over a couple of little wooden bridges on the river, looked at a Wat and then planted ourselves on the internet for a little while to try and get up to date.
Later on we saw Meagn (who we met at Luang Prabang airport) and we arranged to meet up later for 'Friends'.
Walking about we had some kids following us along and playing. One of them asked for a pen, I thought this was ok as it wasn't money so we gave them a pen.
Met up with Megan and we checked out the tubing for tomorrow and decided that we would do it together in the morning. We split up, got ready and then met up again for dinner and a bit of the Simpsons.

After breakfast the next day, we met Megan at 9.30am to go tubing. People only come to Vang Vieng to go tubing on the Nam Xong river and get drunk whilst doing it. We had planned to just have a couple of drinks and go bike riding in the afternoon.
On the tuktuk which took us 4km out of town to where you get in the river and float the 4km back into town.
The river was quite shallow at the moment and it looked like it was flowing pretty fast. It was actually flowing quite slow apart from the odd section of rapids.
The 3 of us got on our tractor tyre inner tubes and started the 4km float.
The scenery along the way is beautiful, big green mountains, children playing, some women washing and farangs, like ourselves jumping in off high platforms and on zip lines and swings. However the river was not busy so it was also very quiet and calming.
We called in the first bar, or rather wooden hut on the river bank. A guy was stood on the rivers edge with a pole on a rope fishing for us to come to his bar. The 3 of us sat outside under a bamboo shelter with a drink. Luckily at this point it poured with rain, not that it mattered as we were already wet.
After half an hour or so we were back on our rings. The tubes got so hot we kept burning ourselves on them. Andy's ring was on fire!!!
After a short float we called in another bar for a drink where we met a nice Italian girl, Manyella. Each of us had a go at jumping off a not too high platform, then we were back in our tubes again.
The clouds had now disappeared and the sun was out, very hot. We floated on for what didn't seem very long but we had come to the last bar, so of course we called into this one and relaxed.
We floated the last 20m and then walked back to the shop with our tubes. We couldn't believe that it was 4pm! We had been out on the river for 6 hours! No bike riding for us!

After a shower we had another 'Friends' fix, booked our minibus for tomorrow (went for another minibus as hopefully it will be as good as the last as it's still part of 'the dreaded journey'), dinner, internet and bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Last barLast bar
Last bar

With Manyella and Megan.


3rd July 2006

Amazing Take care, see you soon, wish I was there ! XX
4th July 2006

Excellent Blogs
The last 2 blogs were outstanding, riding elephant (what an experience) the scenery looks fantastic, cant wait for Cambodia. Stay Safe Love Tony and Rhonda X X
6th July 2006

jealous
glad to see your having a great time iam on line know
7th July 2006

Hi
Well guys, you really know how to party and have a good time. Cant believe you're still out there and having the time of your lifes. You've seen some sites judging by the photos, keep the logs coming in, jake loves to see what you guys get up to - how ever I have to vet the info and phots first mind you..... keep safe and party hard!! love zoe
7th July 2006

Floaters!
Hi guys - looks like a real holiday - and feels good to be with people who are friendly and less of a hassle too I bet? Glad you are taking anti-malarials, especially if you are gonna be around the rivers etc. Did Gwilym tell you about his (meningeal) malaria? He was soooo sick - it's really not worth the risk (tho I hope you are covering up with cream n stuff (OK I'll stop nagging now!). So great to be travelling the world with you. Love you loads Mandy x x

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 25; qc: 133; dbt: 0.161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb