Oh My Buddha!!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

111

Oh, by the way we went to the Muay Thai. Pretty random and brutal but good laugh.
Hello everyone!! Just to update you on what we've been up to. Since we last wrote, we set off for the jungle just north of Chaing Mai. We were in a group with 5 others to begin with and our two tour guides (Jay-Jay and King Kong!). Set off from base and took an amazing drive north through fantastic jungle scenery. Set off trekking with our bamboo sticks in hand which were very much needed due to it being rainy season and the jungle being somewhat slippery!! Jay-Jay took the lead with machete in hand and carved a path up through the jungle whilst we all fell over...and over...and over again (I saved Joey's life, fact). Eventually got to a spectacular waterfall where we took a break and had a slightly scary swim! From there we continued trekking, and falling, up the mountain until we got to the hill tribe people who we would be staying (and drinking) with. Had a fun night anyway, got Jay-Jay drunk so we didn't have to walk too much the next day! Result.

Next day we were pretty worse for wear and Jay-Jay (along with his out of date english phrases such as loverly
222

Front row seats baby
jubberly) offered us a short cut which we all jumped at the chance. Queue Jay-Jay taking us down some pretty treacherous paths and Joey falling some more (4 more and Jay-Jay would buy him a drink!). An hour later we arrived at another waterfall and another tribe. Stayed there all night drinking and playing games whilst executing the 'get Jay-Jay' drunk plan once again! It worked. Next day another one hour shortcut of a walk then onto the elephants. Not much to say except for Joey's elephant getting a fright and legging it through the jungle at hundred miles an hour. Probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen! After the dumbo ride, we then went bamboo rafting down the river. Was a good laugh and we managed to stay afloat the whole time!

After our jungle madness, we stayed another night in Chaing Mai before the dreaded 3 day slow boat across to Laos. They call it a boat but it's more like a broken down bus that floats. We met loads of people on it and managed to turn it into a party anyway which made the time just fly by! We've been together ever since.
333

Their National Stadium!!
Stayed two nights in Luang Probang, the first of which we all got a tuk tuk to the local club. We were the only white people in there and even Joey felt like a giant! Queue lots of over the top dancing and 4ft tall local girls screaming as I busted out some pretty special moves!

After Luang Probang the 12 of us booked our own "VIP" bus (the air con had to be turned off whenever we were going up hill so there was enough power!!) across the mountains to Vang Vieng. Lets just say we feared for our lives for 7 hours as a very sleepy looking driver took corners too fast with no barriers to stop us plunging thousands of meters! Jesus worked his magic again though and we arrived safely and found a hostel.

Going to a river party today and then tomorrow will be going tubing. For people who don't know, it's basically a pub crawl where you sit in a rubber ring and go from bar to bar down the river. After that we'll be spending a few more days in Laos before heading to Vietnam and Cambodia over the next few
555

Angry gamblers!
weeks.

Sorry it's been a bit of a long entry but there was lots we wanted to update you on. Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming, they're keeping us amused.

Take care and speak soon!

PK & JW x

PS. IN CASE YOU HADN'T NOTICED THERE ARE MORE PICTURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE AND THEN ON PAGE 2.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

66
6

First waterfall in jungle.
77
7

This is the kind of thing we had to cross!
88
8

Our first night's accomodation (air-con not included)
99
9

Our hostess with the mostess
1010
10

King Kong. The man. The beast. The legend.
11
1

Jay-Jay getting derunk with "man mountain". "i'll kick your ass white boy"
22
2

Our pet worm.
33
3

The fabulous four on the second day.
55
5

Another waterfall. We stayed just next to it on the second night. Not exactly a quiet night's sleep.
66
6

Joey's bedroom on the second night. A gazzilion termites included.
77
7

Joey wearing the latest jungle fashion accessory
99
9

Like a roller-coaster but on a 10 tonne beast.
11
1

Just chillin' ma beans
33
3

Slow boat. Luxurious.


4th October 2009

LOOK DOWN
If you haven't already noticed, there are more pictures below and on page 2.
4th October 2009

jungle boy
Pretty intrepid stuff! Looking forward to the next instalment
4th October 2009

No Earthquakes? Tsunamis? Aftershocks?
I thought you boys were off on an adventure.. pah ! Anyway, how many near death experiences is a St Christopher "miraculous" medal - or that blessed cross good for before it needs topping up? Sounds like you need to find a local Shamen just to to be on the safe side (or is that Africa? South America?) Be good...
6th October 2009

Now Joe.....
despite the fact you look like you're having an amazing time, the trip of a lifetime and everything I wanted to do myself but never did.....I can't resist a mumsy comment. BE CAREFUL!!! Apart from that, keep up the fun, the pics and the commentary - Soooooooo jealous!!! xxxxx Sheilagh and kids
19th October 2009

Hi guys it sounds like you both are having an amazing time. Had a little chuckle at the the elephant insedent and would love to know what did actually scare him? On average how many times did joe fall over? sounds like you spent most of your time on your bottom :) lol Loving the bristish way of thinking get drunk and party! Look after yourselves! xx
20th October 2009

Deer Hunter
I can see which one looks like De Niro with the the old hairy mush and the hairy back and body, but that's enough about photo 7 (wear a 't' shirt next time Joe). Really pleased your having a great time. Let me know if you're going anywhere near the middle east, UAR or saudi, we have friends and relations out there. keep in touch.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb