Tubing in Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
November 7th 2006
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Well, what can i say about Vang Vieng?
Its kinda like a place where Laos meets the costa del sol. Its definately not everyones cup of tea, and more suited to young people.This place could be anywhere in the world and has nothing "laos" about it

Basically its a small town with a street lined with bars and restraunts showing films and repeat tv shows like friends(is there a worse tv show on this planet!!!???) and simpsons.
The scenery is spectacular though as the town is based at the bottom of some steep hills. 3 days here is all you should spend and not 5 days like we did. There doesnt seem to many laws in this town either as every bar menu has the word "happy", "mushroom", or "weed" in all of its dishes and milkshakes.
Due to the 24 hour bars this place has the highest concentration of irish in Asia i am sure. On 2 different nights at around 3am i counted the people. 15 of the 23 were irish on the first night and 14 of the 17 people on the second night and thats just one bar. Some people complain about our stereotype image abroad its not hard to see why!!
You have to do the "Tubing" for a day(not 2 like we did). This great fun floating down the river with a beer in your hand. Met a couple from clanbrasil street dundalk on this. Every 100 meters or so there is a bar where you stop off for a refreshment and play on the swing.......as you can see from the videos my attempts at a back film ended in hopeless failure every time and no lessons were learned from the previous crash.....i have a huge bruise not covering my whole right thigh to remind me of the tubing now.
It was great to chill out in the hammocks with mates for a few days but at the end of it everyone is so smashed from the late drinking every night that we were glad to be leaving.
Im sorry i spent 5 days doing basically nothing but did enjoy the craic and the tubing also the drive from Luang Prabang is spectacular.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tarzan again on the swings.....Tarzan again on the swings.....
Tarzan again on the swings.....

the landing has to be perfect or else...
SlainteSlainte
Slainte

the tan is flying along here!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb