Pak Ou Caves


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
November 12th 2013
Published: November 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

November 8, Luang Parbang



Woke to what would be a a clear sunny day if the sun was up. Actually we got up in the dark at 5 am since we were meeting our guide at 6 to go and distribute alms to the monks. The monks collect food once a day, in the early morning, and this gets them through the day. Luang Prabang has 42 temples so there are lots of monks. We saw lots of them in the morning and late in the afternoon. Most of the younger ones are at school during the day. We could hear the temple drums and chimes as we got ready to go out.



Khamlah walked us with us to an area by a large temple and provided us with 2 baskets of sticky rice and a basket of biscuits to distribute to the monks. We put about a tablespoon of rice in their begging bowls as they filed past. We tried also to give them a biscuit but they went too fast. After a couple of minutes Deb did the rice and I distributed the biscuits. We were kneeling on a mat that Khamlah had also provided. There were a few tourists both taking pictures and distributing alms. We walked back to the hotel. People were kneeling outside their homes distributing alms. apparently the custom is to feed the monks first and then yourself. It was very pleasant and tranquil.I was able to watch them from our balcony as they returned to them temple beside the hotel. They walk quickly, in single file and silently. It is very peaceful in the cool morning.



The hotel has a wonderful breakfast and we ate outside along the Mekong. This hotel is raising the bar for all hotels on the rest of the trip. .



We has a short visit to the National Museum and then took a boat down the Mekong to the Pak Ou Buddha Caves. Laos is very green. The Mekong is running very fast since the monsoons just ended. It is also very muddy. It was pleasant motoring down the river and most of the river traffic was other tourists.



The caves are full of thousands of statues of Buddha in various stages or repair and disrepair. The good statues are in the front, the old ones are falling down at the back. It looks like a strong wind went through at the back and blew things over. There are flower offering in front of the statues, and some statues are draped in orange fabric.



The upper cave is a bit of a hike, up some 200 plus steps. It is large and dark and full of bats The.bat's added atmosphere.



We stopped at a weaving village on the way back. The quality of the weaving was among the best, if not the best I've seen. Some of the designs were amazing and you can guess the rest. However, you should know that you get better prices if you buy multiples and then start bargaining. Prices drop by at least 30%, if not a bit more. We ran out of kip and I had just been to the ATM in the morning.



The ATM's ate funny. My limit is about 900,000 kip which is about $120 Cdn . Try to take out 200$ and the machine says I am over my limit. That gives you an idea how cheap this are/can be here.



We left with full bags and the village was richer for it.





Foot massage! We had time to treat ourselves to a foot massage. It was every bit as good as I remembered it and next time we have a spare hour I know what we will do.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb